VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   How to repair bumper slats/ what to use to repair (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/how-repair-bumper-slats-what-use-repair-478212/)

ohTONYoh 10-30-2013 03:31 PM

How to repair bumper slats/ what to use to repair

My mr2's front bumper slats are broken off at the point where they meet the middle piece. I'm wondering how do you repair this? Or what to use to repair this? Its only on the top row on every one of the slats, which hold the bumper up so whatever is used to fix it needs to hold strong. Posted pic of what i'm referring to.

http://i40.tinypic.com/2928yyq.jpg

Gen_Crunchytoes 10-30-2013 04:44 PM

Re: How to repair bumper slats/ what to use to repair

Fuck I forgot the name of the stuff I used to use.

All I remember is that its red and you mix it like filler. If I remember I'll report back, whatever the shit is its works great. Repaired countless broken tabs and whatnot with the stuff

ohTONYoh 10-30-2013 04:58 PM

Okay thank you, ill try to research it.

92_SR20 10-31-2013 09:37 AM

JB weld for plastic maybe?

ohTONYoh 10-31-2013 09:50 AM

Not sure if that will work, i feel like that's meant for sealing a crack in a bumper not actually mending pieces back together.

Fabrik8 10-31-2013 11:01 AM

You're going to have a hard time repairing that with such a small cross section on a piece in tension, especially with the types of plastics used for bumpers. I'm assuming that's why those pieces broke over time to begin with.

Fabrik8 10-31-2013 11:06 AM

Really though, it's like anything else. To fix it, you need to find out what it's made of and therefore what repair products and techniques are applicable. So do some research to find out what type of plastic it is, and then go from there.

burnoutboy 10-31-2013 12:22 PM

[LULZ]Drill and zip ties.[/Thread]

ohTONYoh 10-31-2013 02:32 PM

Originally Posted by burnoutboy (Post 8226187)
[LULZ]Drill and zip ties.[/Thread]

Lol i was thinking that at first.

Do any of you guys think that epoxying a piece of aluminum to the back of the middle and slats to connect them would hold?
Or saftey wire will hold them together?

Fabrik8 10-31-2013 04:54 PM

Originally Posted by ohTONYoh (Post 8226236)
Do any of you guys think that epoxying a piece of aluminum to the back of the middle and slats to connect them would hold?
Or safety wire will hold them together?

If you choose the right adhesive, yes. It needs to be able to stick to the paint, or stick to the plastic, depending on how you prepare it. Do not use an epoxy, because although epoxy is the strongest thing you can use it's also the most surface sensitive. I would recommend something slightly flexible, like an auto body panel adhesive or one of the bumper repair adhesive products. 3M makes some good stuff in their collision repair line, and the Lord Fusor product line is good also.

Bonding a brace to the bumper will be far more successful than trying to just bond the slats back together with their small cross sectional area.

Safety wire should work also. Safety wire comes in lots of different diameters, so you should easily be able to find something strong enough to work well.

Lots of this stuff really depends on how err.... aesthetically pleasing you want your repair to be.

Look into the Fusor 133/143/153 bumper repair adhesives, which are similar products with different cure times.