Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

How do you get a brake drum off?

Old 11-08-2010, 10:47 AM
SPARKLEmotion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah FObangah
Default Re: How do you get a brake drum off?

Originally Posted by Jenkinsal2
Can you get a slide hammer hooked on there? I had to use one to get my drums off the first time i did my brakes. If not prybars and a BFH will be your new best friends.
Good idea but a slide hammer may not have enough force behind it for these.
Update us when you get'em off Cobra....
Old 11-08-2010, 12:19 PM
The Pro to call.

HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic HatefulMechanic

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Vehicles still come with drum brakes?
GM was smart and went back to drum brakes after their fiasco with the discs on all their trucks from 99+. They work much, much better (read:last longer and do not have the corrosion issue from lack of airflow)

And to the OP: Put a pic of Obama on it, then frail away. Even your girly little arms could knock one off then.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:15 PM
Fanboi

Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B Cobra4B

Originally Posted by FObangah
Good idea but a slide hammer may not have enough force behind it for these.
Update us when you get'em off Cobra....
They won't be comming off for a bit.... I was just going to check on them, so I put the wheels/tires back on and called it a day. Whenever I rotate the tires again I'll give it another go.

Originally Posted by HatefulMechanic
GM was smart and went back to drum brakes after their fiasco with the discs on all their trucks from 99+. They work much, much better (read:last longer and do not have the corrosion issue from lack of airflow)

And to the OP: Put a pic of Obama on it, then frail away. Even your girly little arms could knock one off then.
I've been known to brake shit... can I use a hammer or should I stick with my heavier rubber mallet?