Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Honda Compatibility Question: VSS

Old 08-26-2009, 11:14 AM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Subie2Honda Subie2Honda
Default Honda Compatibility Question: VSS

My friend recently purchased a '92 Honda Prelude with a JDM H22A Type-R swap. The car seemed like a steal at the time, but unfortunately as he and I have continued to look at it, we have discovered lots of little problems which I'm sure will take some time to work out.

The first, and most prominent issue, is that the speedometer will not work. We replaced the VSS(Vehicle Speed Sensor) with a new unit from Honda, still to no avail. So, after consulting another technician I work with, we tested the voltage/resistance/etc of the current cluster, and found that the speedometer in the vehicle currently is bad. So we ordered another one. Shortly thereafter, I was looking over all the plugs and connections, etc, under the hood, and noticed that the actual "gearbox" that the VSS rests upon seems to be broken.

Now here's the clincher: where and how do I source one of these? Alot of the local salvage yards seem to not understand me/not know what I'm talking about, and being as these cars initially came with F-series engines, is there any possibility that the gearbox/vss won't work due to the transition made to H-series? Also, are the H-series and F-series VSS/gearbox interchangeable? If so, I'll simply head to Pick-A-Part myself and pull one off an old prelude.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and just to clarify: I'm no n00b to automotive work; but H-series is one of the many things I seem to need help on.

Thanks again.

EDIT: By saying "gearbox", I AM NOT referring to the transmission. I am referring to that single/few gears that transmit a reading via that little spinning peg to the VSS.
Old 08-26-2009, 11:31 AM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation
Default Re: Honda Compatibility Question: VSS

one from a 90 up accord or prelude should work just fine. Assuming the car is manual you will need a manual one.
Old 08-26-2009, 01:02 PM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Outstanding. Let me ask this though......are the older ones made for a completely cable unit? The one(VSS) currently on his H-series is completely electronic(i.e., my EF has a cable that runs from the VSS straight to the cluster, his simply has a wiring harness)
Old 08-26-2009, 02:33 PM
Works on S2000's.

C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory C Ory

What year is the motor out of? F or H series should all be the same. You just have to get one that matches the year of the motor. Should be OBD1. So any 90-95 accord, or 92-95/96 prelude should work.