Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

high pitch whiney noise...

Old 12-12-2004, 09:42 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xk84f9ds is an unknown quantity at this point
Default high pitch whiney noise...

ok i already kno i have a busted T/O bearing, and i just recently found out about my passenger side axle (the CV boot is busted)...and everythign else is fine...

1. i was driving this morning when i heard this whine noise...its comming from the motor i kno this because when i ws in 1st gear it did it for like 1/2 a second and then it did it for a lil bit more in2nd gear then 3rd and 4th....and i also put it in neutral and let the motor rev down and it did it for a lil bit there too...so im thinking its my axle or somethign right??
2. will a busted T/O (throw out) bearing cause the tranny to go bad or what??like if i dont fix it right away will i start losing gears or soemthing??

but if you could help it would be very much appreciated....THANK YOU
Old 12-12-2004, 10:14 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike
Default Re: high pitch whiney noise...

no it wont cause it to go bad but it will make some noise. maybe you have an input shaft bearing going bad?
Old 12-12-2004, 10:45 AM
Banned

i have no clue what it is, but i got under my car about a week ago to change my oil and i noticed all this grease, and liek sticky buildup (it was liek grease and oil or soemthing and it was brownish tan) on the inside of my passenger side rim....and i looked at my axle and my CV boot was broken and i could see inside....is if i dont replace it right away what can happen???

and what is that input shaft bearing you were talkign about???
Old 12-12-2004, 10:54 AM
Bitches get Stitches

sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike sk8rmike

the input shaft bearing is what the gearset inside the tranny rides on. when it goes bad it can start making noise like you are talking about. the only way to really check it is to take the tranny off though...and driving around on a cv axle w/ a busted book is ok until it starts to click. the clicking is the bearings inside not meshing right as you are moving, eventually they break up and the axle breaks in two, at which point your car wont move. just replace the axle as soon as you can basically. you have time, just dont put it off too long if you can help it.
Old 12-12-2004, 12:08 PM
Banned

94 Teggy is an unknown quantity at this point

All that grease was from the boot. Eventually it will break, but you will know it when it gets ready.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:21 PM
Banned

i jsut bought a remanufactured axle from auto zone for liek 70$...i dont have madd HP so i figured it was good for a stock motor...

do i need anythign else to swap this bad passenger side axle out and put this new one in???bearings, special grease or soemthing liek taht?????

thankx
Old 12-13-2004, 02:27 PM
Thig Digged

ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq

my car whines too . On a serious note, the TOB on my 5.0 used to chirp/whine, its not really anything to worry about, more of a nuisance than anything.
Old 12-13-2004, 02:35 PM
Banned

the thing is i used to be able to chirp 2nd with my civic, and ever since i found tha tbusted boot, i cant chirp ne more...so i kno something is wrong....
im replaceing the clutch, flywheel, and p plate and T/O bearing pilot bearing, and passenger side axle ( the side the CV boot is busted on) so yea...
Old 12-13-2004, 02:52 PM
Thig Digged

ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq ThsPoq

Originally Posted by xk84f9ds
the thing is i used to be able to chirp 2nd with my civic, and ever since i found tha tbusted boot, i cant chirp ne more...so i kno something is wrong....
im replaceing the clutch, flywheel, and p plate and T/O bearing pilot bearing, and passenger side axle ( the side the CV boot is busted on) so yea...
Its really not a good idea to chirp 2nd if your axle boot is busted. I assume all the grease has already flung out, its gonna snap soon.
Old 12-13-2004, 03:49 PM
Bitches get Stitches

Originally Posted by xk84f9ds
thats not because of your cv axle. you will not need anything special to replace it other than the 32mm socket to remove the axle nut.