VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   Help pulling out engine - 93 GSR (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/help-pulling-out-engine-93-gsr-29938/)

SuMeRbOaRd 10-25-2003 11:27 AM

Help pulling out engine - 93 GSR

Hey is anyone around Williamsburg/James City that is interested in helping me pull out my B17 tonight? I've never done it but I have the manuals but would like to get someone over that knows a little bit about them. Holla @ 7575661472

Glenn

PS Any tips or advice you can give would be a help!!

MI4nKuwait 10-25-2003 01:25 PM

dam if you were in the beach i would be all over that..why you taking the motor out

SuMeRbOaRd 10-25-2003 01:28 PM

somethings fucked up in it. Got a knock that changes with rpm but the sound varrys a lot. Sometimes it doesn't even make any noise and then others it sounds like shit.

nickyroo 10-25-2003 01:36 PM

start by removing the wiring harness, d/c all the sensors on it. remove the exhaust manifold, disconnect it from the exhaust system. disconnect the cooling system (drain the coolant) and d/c all the hoses. disconnect the transmission. remove the electrical fans to clear up a little bit of room. get either an impact wrench or a 1/2" drive ratchet and put a breaker bar on it to break the motor mounts loose. soak them in pb blaster (definitely get this if you want to remove the exhaust manifolds, they sell it at advance auto parts for like $2)

id remove the wiring harness with the car on the ground, dont forget to disconnect the oxygen sensors on the lower exhaust manifold, youll probably need to reuse them.

put a block of wood on your oil pan and put a jack under it, disconnect the motor mounts, jack it up a little bit and get a cherry picker (or whatever youre going to use to lift the motor) hooked up to it. either wrap a chain around the motor or hook a chain to the engine's lifting brackets and hoist the motor out of the car.

have fun :p

SuMeRbOaRd 10-25-2003 01:39 PM

damn nick, it sounds like you've done this b4. Wanna come help?

MA-HALF-E 10-26-2003 05:07 AM

Originally posted by reuter
start by removing the wiring harness, d/c all the sensors on it. remove the exhaust manifold, disconnect it from the exhaust system. disconnect the cooling system (drain the coolant) and d/c all the hoses. disconnect the transmission. remove the electrical fans to clear up a little bit of room. get either an impact wrench or a 1/2" drive ratchet and put a breaker bar on it to break the motor mounts loose. soak them in pb blaster (definitely get this if you want to remove the exhaust manifolds, they sell it at advance auto parts for like $2)

id remove the wiring harness with the car on the ground, dont forget to disconnect the oxygen sensors on the lower exhaust manifold, youll probably need to reuse them.

put a block of wood on your oil pan and put a jack under it, disconnect the motor mounts, jack it up a little bit and get a cherry picker (or whatever youre going to use to lift the motor) hooked up to it. either wrap a chain around the motor or hook a chain to the engine's lifting brackets and hoist the motor out of the car.

That's way too much work. The tranny can defnitely stay on, as well as the exhaust manifold. It does make it easier to remove the motor w/o those parts though, but it's not that hard with them. And I didn't see mention of d/c the shift linkage.

SuMeRbOaRd 10-26-2003 08:34 AM

man, I started last night and the first thing they had was to remove the altenator and to do that you MUST remove the halfshaft it says. Now this has got me stumped. Any ideaS?

MA-HALF-E 10-26-2003 02:29 PM

You should be able to keep the alternator on, too.

SHUT UP 10-26-2003 03:57 PM

Originally posted by reuter

not enough info dumbestic

SHUT UP 10-26-2003 04:37 PM

take front wheels off. unscrew axle nut on both sides. unscrew ball joint bolt underneath hub on both sides. (you will have to hit the arm with a hammer. thier is a little bump above the stud. hit that very hard on both sides. never hit the stud itself. This can be a pain in the ass.) Hitting it will make the joint come loose so you can lift the hub and take it out of the joint. Take both axles out. drain all fluids(tranny,oil,coolent). I usually disconnect all the plugs on the motor instead of just leaving it on the motor. Id just unplug everything that is connected to the motor. Underneath the car take off the shifft linkage and the stabilizer. above that you will see the rear motor mount. unbolt the 2 big bolts that are vertical. 17mm or 19mm i forget. Take intake off. Take Header off. Take all hoses connected to the motor off. Take injector clips off also. remove radiator fan. disconnect AC bracket. and Power steering bracket if you have it. Disconnect O2 sensor on exhaust. disconnect clutch cable. unbolt rear mount. unbolt 3 side mounts. take motor out.