Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Help me out..Oil pan gasket!!!

Old 12-05-2008, 04:43 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
jdmintegra is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Help me out..Oil pan gasket!!!

Any of u have and secrets or past history with changing oil pan gasket..i mean im not car stupid but i just rebuilt my itr and after getting car running i had a minor leak with oil pan gasket so i pulled it off today ordered another one today use black rtv on side from gasket to pan let it dry alil and then used black rtv again from gasket to block and the gasket still wants to silde out started leaking then got really bad leak...any info u guys have...thanks
Old 12-05-2008, 04:56 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod
Default Re: Help me out..Oil pan gasket!!!

Don't tighten it too tight man.
A little snug.

Make sure the gasket doesn't slip off the studs. I've done SEVERAL(meaning way over 20) and I still goof up from time to time.

If it's a new gasket, I don't use any RTV at all.
Remember, Hondabond is the shiznit.
Old 12-05-2008, 04:57 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Did you follow the recommended torque specs? I'm not a big fan of RTV unless it's a specialty product made for that type of gasket material and that application. Did you let it cure all the way, and did you properly clean and degrease the mating surfaces that the gasket will be against.

Oh, you are using OEM gaskets, right?
Old 12-05-2008, 07:05 PM
Banned

MajorsEF will become famous soon enough

when i rebuilt my motor i put a little bit of high temp rtv on the pan it self, then smoothed it out. then put the gasket on the pan and it sticks well. make sure the block is clean
Old 12-05-2008, 07:16 PM
Registered Member

kronikSLOW has disabled reputation

10 ft lbs is exactly what you need. no less no more. clean the mating surface throw the rtv in the trash unless you want to clog something. if you have to but gasket in oven on 300 for a min or two to warm it up and then slap it on.
Old 12-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Banned

MajorsEF will become famous soon enough

i put just a little rtv like on corners to hold it. and i smoothed it out so there was no access so it won clog anything
Old 12-06-2008, 05:22 AM
look what you did!

crxrookie crxrookie crxrookie crxrookie crxrookie crxrookie crxrookie crxrookie crxrookie crxrookie crxrookie

usually when I replace a oil pan gasket , I will apply sealant to the block, then on the pan , then place the gasket on the pan to line up the bolt holes , then bolt the pan on using recomended torque specs(tighten from the middle out switching sides as you go), then let it dry before I pour the oil in. I hope I helped you, good luck
Old 12-06-2008, 06:34 AM
Registered Member

Al_P has disabled reputation

Make sure you use honda gasket. i've seen a lot of aftermarket gaskets without little metal inserts in the gasket that prevent the operator from overtightening the gasket and making rubber squeeze to the point it leaks.

Having a rubber gasket is the only thing i hate about early Honda engines. fucking stupid idea
Old 12-07-2008, 08:59 AM
not a noob

JAvenger has disabled reputation

use honda bond if you use anything, don't let dry, apply Hond bond to pan, put gasket on pan, apply honda bond to gasket, bolt up to block.

use a thin layer, coat evenly as possible.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

jdmintegra is an unknown quantity at this point

ok i did as yall said bolted up good i cranked her up all seemed ok but still gota oil leak from same spot...im kinda confused and this isnt my 1st day on the playground just seeing if there someone out there thats knows something i dont...i just rebuilt the motor b18c5 all back to stock specs.. relized i forgot to hook up the bottom side of the hose that goes from the pvc valve on the intake to the breather box so i was like dang theres my oil leak..well i was wrong but right under that black box is where my oil leak is there are drops hangin off the mid shaft and some off the edge of the block.. ive checked and still are wondering if the breather box where it goes in the back of the block is leaking..would it let alot of oil leak out....also are fel pro gasket good or should i go with oem..imma try another gasket this will be my 2nd if it dosent work i dunno where my next step is

Quick Reply: Help me out..Oil pan gasket!!!