Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

HELP! jdm b18 swap runs horrible

Old 04-24-2011, 10:07 AM
AaronDavis

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis
Default HELP! jdm b18 swap runs horrible PROBLEM SOLVED!

hey,

i am helping my cousin swap his motor on his 1996 gsr. he locked the old one up so we ordered one from japan. his had a b18c1 in it and now has a b18c. we encountered a couple problems such as no crank sensor on jdm so we swapped over the oil pump, housing, sprocket and cover. also, his egr valve had a plug on it and the new one didnt so we swapped egr valves as well. now the car starts and runs like shit. its trying to retard the timing like crazy and wont rev above 1500-1700 rpms. we used his wiring harness and ecu, the distributor that came with the jdm motor stayed in it, i was thinking about swapping that over next. oh and it is setting one code, for heated o2 sensor bank 1 sensor 1

anyone have any ideas or suggestions? i would greatly appreciate the help

Thanks,
Aaron

Thanks.

Last edited by AaronDavis; 05-14-2011 at 10:44 AM. Reason: problem solved
Old 04-24-2011, 10:32 AM
Registered member

mikejones002100 has disabled reputation
Default Re: HELP! jdm b18 swap runs horrible

one question is why would you use an oil pump off and old motor that locked up? i hope u used a new pump just for the fact if there was any metal in there what so ever then he is gonna have the same issue down the road..check the timing on the motor being that u changed the pump you could have possibly had the timing off a little...if thats the case i hope not to far because it can bend a valve easy if its off timing...and the rev issue it seams like its going into limp mode..i would use the old dizzy and all the other parts off the old motor since the other ran fine but just seized up...gl bro
Old 04-24-2011, 10:56 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Let's get something straight. The crank angle sensor is in the distributor on both engines. The crank fluctuation sensor is what the JDM engine is missing. The distributor should be the same, and there is no need to swap it over unless you think it is damaged.

The O2 sensor problem should be easy to fix. If you're using an O2 sensor from the old engine, you've likely damaged the O2 sensor or the O2 sensor wiring. If you're using the old ECU, the old harness, and the old O2 sensor, obviously you haven't swapped in a new part that is broken. If you are using the O2 sensor from the new engine, and that's the only thing that's changed, it would stand to reason that the new O2 sensor is the problem.
Old 04-24-2011, 10:59 AM
AaronDavis

AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis

i didn't buy a new pump, just took the old one apart, its just 2 gears under the plate, i cleaned the gears and passages and packed it full of vasailine, and i did swap the old distributor, they are different. and i will check the timing next weekend, i put it on exactly how it came off in reference to the cam gears and crankshaft keyway. i did find the tps isn't moving when the throttle is moved so i am also changing that next weekend.
Thanks you very much.

Last edited by AaronDavis; 04-24-2011 at 05:01 PM.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:19 PM
I <3 MY EG

JustaGSR18 has disabled reputation

using an oil pump from a locked up motor.... as for the main problem of not reving, you say tps is not moving?? what do you mean are you testing it with a multimeter? are you testing the correct wire? what is the reading it is giving out?
Old 04-24-2011, 05:02 PM
AaronDavis

again, the oil pump is an inlet and an outlet and 2 really big gears with a cover over it, its basically brand new after i took it apart and cleaned it out. Fabrik8, thank you for the clarification. yes, i swapped the oil pump to put the cfs on. also, the o2 sensor is reading, just the heater circuit isnt working, i need a sensor for that. and the distributor is different because i cracked the cap on the usdm motor and tried to put the jdm cap on the usdm dizzy and it didnt fit, also, when the engine got here, the firing order was wrong, that created a misfire but i put the wire on correctly and the dead miss went away, now it just doenst run right. and JustaGSR18- i have a scanner and its saying the tps is at 12% whether its at idle or wot. i didnt check any wires, it also has a voltage reading on there, i forgot what it was staying at though.
Old 04-24-2011, 06:05 PM
I <3 MY EG

JustaGSR18 has disabled reputation

then the main problem would be the tps reading being off, check it at the sensor with a multimeter, the positive lead going to the middle wire(forget what color it is) and the ground lead to ground. with the ignition on but engine off it should read around .45 to .50 volts with the throttle closed, wide open reading should be between 4.5 to 5.0 volts..
Old 04-25-2011, 04:32 AM
AaronDavis

WILL DO, THANK YOU VERY MUCH
Old 05-14-2011, 10:46 AM
AaronDavis

TTT

so, yall can slap me if you want. haha, apparently the sensor on the top of the throttle body has the same plug as the tps sensor. I did put in a new tps due to i broke the plastic the connector plugs on to and realized that the connectors are the same wit different color wires. thanks for all the info.
Old 05-14-2011, 11:28 AM
Shooting 63's

idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda idriveahonda

Common mistake man.

Anyone can do it, they typically just aren't man enough to admit it afterwards.