Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Help identifying an issue I'm currently having

Old 06-23-2014, 07:04 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
92-CivicLX has disabled reputation
Default Help identifying an issue I'm currently having

I have a 97 Civic LX with type-R swap.

I had an issue last month where my timing belt somehow jumped a tooth. Before that, he replaced my fuel pump because he thought that was the issue.

After the guy fixed the timing issue, I now I have this issue where once I start my car when engine cold, the engine dies out. The only way to keep the engine running is I have to hold down the gas for about 4 minutes to warm the engine up. After that, it doesn't die out when I take my foot off acceleration pedal.

Here is a video of the issue I'm having:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wxwNbHLkAE

Another issue I'm having is when I accelerate, my headlights get bright, once I take foot of acceleration pedal, the headlights go dim. This issue has to be connected because it started at the same time as the other problem.

What could this be? I'm hearing it may be the battery, or the alternator.

After talking with my friend, he doesn't think it is the alternator because he said my car should die out no matter if the engine is heated or not. He still gave me a spare alternator. Should I get this installed tomorrow or do you think the issue is elsewhere?

Hopefully someone can help me out :-(

thanks,
Jeremy

Last edited by 92-CivicLX; 06-24-2014 at 08:28 AM.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:46 PM
Registered Member

d16tof22 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help identifying an issue I'm currently having

Honda ignitions aren't terribly great, my money would be on that.
Old 06-24-2014, 05:17 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you're dealing with a swap, make sure all of the grounds are connected and are not corroded. It's an easy thing to miss during an engine swap.
Old 06-24-2014, 08:27 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you're dealing with a swap, make sure all of the grounds are connected and are not corroded. It's an easy thing to miss during an engine swap.
What other grounds should I look for other than the valve cover to chassis ground? And the issue started after the timing issue was fixed. Hours before this, I didn't have this problem.

Here is a video I shot today of the issue:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wxwNbHLkAE
Old 06-24-2014, 10:33 AM
Banned

speedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these parts

check you ecu.. i seen this problem before... it could be your ecu.. or it could be ur tps not opening the throttle body on start... and check the plug to the tps.. if its not getting the right ohms and ground and right power it will not work either... check that man good luck... if the plug is good then its either the tps sensor or ecu... easy way to check if its the tps.. unplug it if your car starts and stays running its the tps... if it still dont stay running then its your ecu
Old 06-24-2014, 10:40 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Also check the coolant temp sensor (for the ECU, not the temp gauge). It is what controls the cold idle enrichment.

Here's another thought: the valve cover came off to do the timing belt, so its possible the plug wires are in the wrong order or got damaged during removal/reinstall. I'm guessing this is something related to incidental damage during the repairs.
Old 06-24-2014, 04:36 PM
Banned

speedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these partsspeedkingrc is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Also check the coolant temp sensor (for the ECU, not the temp gauge). It is what controls the cold idle enrichment.

Here's another thought: the valve cover came off to do the timing belt, so its possible the plug wires are in the wrong order or got damaged during removal/reinstall. I'm guessing this is something related to incidental damage during the repairs.
might be i hope he gets it right cause it would be a waste of money on repairs if they did the work have ass... But post us some updates when you get it right and let us know what was wrong
Old 06-24-2014, 05:16 PM
Unregistered Member

Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis. Travis.

Originally Posted by 92-CivicLX
After the guy fixed the timing issue, I now I have this issue where once I start my car when engine cold, the engine dies out.
Take it back to him?

Or was this your boy jim who did it in his storage unit shop.

Did it run after the tbelt was done, or was this immediately after he worked on it and it hasn't been right since that moment?
Old 06-24-2014, 09:04 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Travis.
Take it back to him?

Or was this your boy jim who did it in his storage unit shop.

Did it run after the tbelt was done, or was this immediately after he worked on it and it hasn't been right since that moment?
It was Jim lmao. But he's been doing work on my cars for years.

After he adjusted the jumped timing, I started the car and it kept stalling. After about 3-4 minutes of revving and holding down the throttle, the car doesn't stall .
Old 06-24-2014, 09:07 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by speedkingrc
check you ecu.. i seen this problem before... it could be your ecu.. or it could be ur tps not opening the throttle body on start... and check the plug to the tps.. if its not getting the right ohms and ground and right power it will not work either... check that man good luck... if the plug is good then its either the tps sensor or ecu... easy way to check if its the tps.. unplug it if your car starts and stays running its the tps... if it still dont stay running then its your ecu
I will try tomorrow, thanks again man. And I recently changed my ecu also so that might be it.

You think maybe a wire got loose? This issue is present on both the ecu I was using years (GSR ecu with jumper harness) and the stock Type R ecu.

Quick Reply: Help identifying an issue I'm currently having