Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Help with gears

Old 12-17-2002, 07:23 AM
2004 Danceoff Champ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy
Default Help with gears

I've had this problem with my gears for a little while now. Everytime I engage 4WD it starts to make a loud "clicking" sound. Louder and faster as I accelerate. It stops whenever I take it out of 4WD though. I've just recently had the CV axles on my truck replaced. BTW it's a 1995 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD with a 4"/5" Superlift and 33" PJ's. I am looking for somebody, shop or independent, that can pull the hog's head and look and see if they can fix the gears or tell me if they need to be replaced. I'm kinda in a hurry also. I am going to Nags Head Christmas day and wanna go wheelin while I'm down there. If anybody can help, either reply here or send me a PM.

Thanks,
Dave
Old 12-17-2002, 10:08 AM
Buick turbo tweaker

REDS TTYPE is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like the gears are different front and rear.

someone probly has changed the gear in the rear for 2wd street driving and never changed the front to match.

get on some dirt and with it in 4wd drive a lil bit and look at the tracks and see if it looks like its pushing of dragging front or rear tires.
Old 12-20-2002, 07:10 AM
Former 757'er

Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous Blasphemous

Originally posted by REDS TTYPE
sounds like the gears are different front and rear.

someone probly has changed the gear in the rear for 2wd street driving and never changed the front to match.

get on some dirt and with it in 4wd drive a lil bit and look at the tracks and see if it looks like its pushing of dragging front or rear tires.
Yea, I've seen something like that happen. The guy's front tires were going faster than the rears. It caused all kinds of headaches in 4 wheel drive.
Old 10-14-2004, 01:57 PM

hung331984 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Help with gears

I Can Take A Look At It
Old 10-17-2004, 10:12 AM
2004 Danceoff Champ

Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy Tonka Toy
Default Re: Help with gears

Originally Posted by hung331984
I Can Take A Look At It
What did you do, search for everyone of my threads and comment on it. This is almost a 2 year old thread. I don't even own the truck anymore.