Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

HELP bad fuel pump!?

Old 07-20-2008, 12:30 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
OneBad1.5 has disabled reputation
Default HELP bad fuel pump!?

Hey guys, possible bad pump? I don't know but maybe someone can point me in the right direction.

A little back ground, i drive a 00 prelude. i just did a tune up 3G miles ago including oil change, plugs and wires, and cap and rotor, changed pcv valve last oil change. i drove it down to florida and back (thus the 3000 miles) and didn't have any problems whatsoever. i get home and the next day im driving and when i get on it and it's passed 4G RPM's it starts sputtering and in VTEC it sputters so bad it sounds like a rev limiter.

checked the plugs and wires, checked the fuel pump fuses and here i am. pleaassee someone throw out some suggestions.

**** PROBLEM PERSISTS AFTER I THOUGHT I FIXED IT. I changed the spark plugs out with NGK's and gapped them to .44 and the first couple days it ran perfect in an out of VTEC and full throttle. it's not bad yet but the problem before started off very minor and got really bad.

Last edited by OneBad1.5; 07-27-2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: broke still
Old 07-20-2008, 12:46 PM
Is Left Hand Shiftin

LD-rhdEG6 will become famous soon enoughLD-rhdEG6 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: HELP bad fuel pump!?

is the cel on?
Old 07-20-2008, 01:02 PM
Parts House

92dx757 has disabled reputation

check the oil level
Old 07-20-2008, 01:06 PM
Registered Member

i knew i forgot something, i checked the oil and its right where it should be on the max hole, and no CEL
Old 07-20-2008, 01:36 PM
:Uses Ninja-Focus:

JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath JDMtoDeath

Sounds like the only thing you haven't changed is the fuel filter... I had the same problem and changed/checked everything BUT that. And that's exactly what it was.... GL!
Old 07-21-2008, 05:12 PM
Registered Member

well, got the fuel filter changed today, it seems to be running better however the same problem remains. could be caused by an exhaust gasket gone bad, i doubt it but the thought had arisen since its under more pressure under full throttle which is the only time the sputtering occurs

also the car is swapped to OBD1 P06 ECU chipped for vtec and chipped and tuned on Crome, tune was done last fall. maybe a re-tune?

Last edited by OneBad1.5; 07-21-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 07-21-2008, 06:36 PM
Registered Member

ouji can only hope to improve

check ur rotor button/ and cap might have been cracked when u did ur tune up. does it like idle high at some points then drop to normal?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Registered Member

ouji can only hope to improve

re check on gap for spark plug. what kind of plugs are you using?
Old 07-21-2008, 06:58 PM
Registered Member

bosch platinum II's and i didn't check the gap before i installed them, however i haven't had any problems in the passed 3000 miles, as i installed the cap i did notice the rotor cap had a small crack in the top of it, didn't appear that it would interfere with any connections though

as for idle drop, nothing like that, that ive seen, only idols slightly higher then normal when its cold and then idles normally after it warms up

Last edited by OneBad1.5; 07-21-2008 at 06:59 PM. Reason: forgot something
Old 07-22-2008, 04:48 AM
1.6L Elitist

Newbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these partsNewbsauce is infamous around these parts

Since you changed spark components lately, I would lean towards an install issue. When my pump failed, it did not sputter, felt more like someone had a cable attached to my car and was adding crazy drag.

If nothing has changed in your tune I would troubleshoot in this order:

Spark first
1> Check your plugs to see if they are fouled. Look down in the cylinder to see if your full of fuel (from lack of firing)
2> Test wires, cap.

Fuel system.. if spark checks
1> Check for fuel leaks. This will cause a drop in pressure, which could kill your upper RPM.
2> Hook up a gauge to your fuel line at the rail, test the pressure.
3> Swap the filter (10 bucks) - seems like you did this.
4> Try the pump (shrug)

Quick Reply: HELP bad fuel pump!?