Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

help!!!!!!!1

Old 12-29-2002, 05:29 PM
zoomzoomzoom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
richard dalton is an unknown quantity at this point
Default help!!!!!!!1

i wana know if i need to change my ecu to make into a turbo, i thimk that you do, but if you run it on stock internals and not drop the compression wont it run like shit? can anyone help me with this cunundrom?
Old 12-29-2002, 08:24 PM
Heretic & RSX driver

EvaUnit01 is an unknown quantity at this point

Well it depends on the type of car you have. If you have a honda/acura send it to Hondata, they can remap the ECU, or you can just flat out get a new ecu but I think it's like 500 or something, i may be wrong on that. Also, about the compression, if you get really COMPLETE kit, it should come with some better pistons and rods. I got a RSX and my turbo kit is gonna come with better pistons and rods.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:23 PM
zoomzoomzoom

no it's a mazda and i can get a ecu from the gt model but what i'm trying to get is if i put that ecu on my car and it's cofigured to run at a lower compression will it make my car run like shit?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:29 PM
~

nickyroo has disabled reputation

the easiest/cheapest way to lower your compression would probably be to switch to a thicker head gasket.
Old 12-30-2002, 12:32 PM
zoomzoomzoom

mine is running at 8.6:1 where as the turbo model is running 7.8:1 also don't know where to get a head gasket that thick?
Old 12-30-2002, 12:55 PM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

compression will not affect the way the car runs. that is, of course, until you boost too high and detonate, then it will run like shit. or not run at all. on low boost, 8.6:1 will be fine. if you want to boost higher plan on a rebuild with lower compression pistons, i highly doubt there is a thicker head gasket available for your car.

and you will need some sort of fuel map modifications. i don't know exactly what route to recommend to you because i have no clue as to the aftermarket of the car you have, but most piggy back systems will probably get you pretty far, especially on low boost. an apex'i super afc or equivalent would likely suffice, but you'll have to have it tuned properly. if you're running VERY low boost then a vortech fmu or some other rising-rate fuel pressure regulator could probably work until you could figure something out.

i'd suggest reading up and doing research before buying any parts. if no one has any experience with what you're trying to do, then you're completely on your own.
Old 12-30-2002, 02:43 PM
zoomzoomzoom

i already have the turbo off the 626 gt, it's the same engine year etc as the engine i have so bolting the bad boy on wont be hard just the vacume,coolentand oil lines to worry about the turbo will run 9-10psi without a boost controller and about 15 with one and if i fit the ecu in it'll only go to 17psi max before it get's shut off. i wasn't planning on overhauling the internals just yet i have pistons rods and crank for 300. and as for aftermarket unless i win the lottery so i can afford some blitz or hks shit the there's not much.
Old 12-30-2002, 08:58 PM
Heretic & RSX driver

Yep, gotta agree with blackout there. 17psi, yep, might need that new ecu there.
Old 12-31-2002, 06:36 AM
master debater

blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout blackout

Originally posted by richard dalton
i already have the turbo off the 626 gt, it's the same engine year etc as the engine i have so bolting the bad boy on wont be hard just the vacume,coolentand oil lines to worry about the turbo will run 9-10psi without a boost controller and about 15 with one and if i fit the ecu in it'll only go to 17psi max before it get's shut off. i wasn't planning on overhauling the internals just yet i have pistons rods and crank for 300. and as for aftermarket unless i win the lottery so i can afford some blitz or hks shit the there's not much.
ok where do i start? you need to reconsider some things. 1) unless the turbo engine and your engine are identical, that turbo you've got will not just bolt on. and i do hope you have the manifold as well. 2) if you have NO boost control whatsoever, then the wastegate will be shut continuously, and the turbo will be boosting to its fullest potential ALL the time. i'm sure a factory mazda turbo will not boost to 17 reliable psi, but i'm sure it will boost enough to blow your engine to shreds, and likely destroy the turbo. you're going to have to rethink that statement there- how do you plan to regulate boost at 9 psi with no boost control whatsoever??? 3) what more internals do you need other than pistons, rods and crank? and i'm only assuming that they are factory parts, because i'm sure no one in their right minds would let off an entire forged reciprocating assembly for 300 dollars. so what good is this stuff going to do you under boost? none.

another idea would be to swap in this other turbo motor that you say goes in your car. or just get another car. it gets to a certain point with some cars that the ends just don't justify the means... i mean, you're talking about possibly sinking some serious time and money into a car that at best will probably run in the upper 14s. but it's up to you... you just really need to learn some things and decide what you're going to do. and you're not going to learn them on a tech forum.
Old 12-31-2002, 09:20 PM
Heretic & RSX driver

Blackout has a point, do your research before putting that turbo on. Thanks for the reminder blackout. And you could also call other turbo companies for there help.