Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Heater control valve.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:46 PM
Between Bikes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty pasty
Default Heater control valve.

Does anyone know what would cause a heater control valve not to open freely? I replaced my climate control module the other day and had heat for a bit, but after hitting the A/C button to test the A/C system the HCV is stuck closed. Right now I've got the wire off of the valve and I'm operating it manually to adjust my temps. It moves quite easily, so I don't believe it is stuck, but I don't have the tools to do a vacuum test.

Sidenote: Before I replaced the module the heat would work intermittently when it wanted to, but that was due to a faulty climate control module. I do know that the ST162 had specific problems with the electrical unit --which is what I have-- and because of this Toyota used it in one 86 trim model, all models in 87, and then in 88 and 89 they were back primarily to manual sliders with just a few electrical units. The problem it suffered from was that soldered posts often cracked, causing a break in the circuit; however, I went over the circuits with a magnifying glass and couldn't find any breaks.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:47 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn
Default Re: Heater control valve.

its more than likely in the cable...i just had an eg in the shop that was the issue..
Old 12-28-2010, 05:49 PM
Between Bikes

Originally Posted by nftuatn
its more than likely in the cable...i just had an eg in the shop that was the issue..
I'll check on this when I get a chance. If it's the cable I may just stick with the manual thing. It's hard to keep up on a car that's 23 years old and requires nippondenso parts.

Does anyone know what the symptoms a faulty heater relay would cause? I currently don't have a voltmeter and can't afford one at the moment.
Old 12-28-2010, 05:55 PM
Go cry to momma

Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness Nunyabidness

Originally Posted by pasty
I'll check on this when I get a chance. If it's the cable I may just stick with the manual thing. It's hard to keep up on a car that's 23 years old and requires nippondenso parts.

Does anyone know what the symptoms a faulty heater relay would cause? I currently don't have a voltmeter and can't afford one at the moment.
Lube the cable. A relay has nothing to do with the cable. Lube that sucka.
Old 12-28-2010, 06:31 PM
Between Bikes

Alright, was just wondering if the relay would prevent the temperature slider from working. It looks a lot like a brake cable on a bike, so I'm guessing that white lithium grease will do it? I still have my console ripped apart, so tracing the cable back shouldn't be much work (I hope). I don't have the time to tear out the actual heater assembly with everything I'm trying to get done.
Old 12-28-2010, 07:02 PM
Registered Member

backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms

Originally Posted by nftuatn
x2
Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 AM
Between Bikes

+rapez to you backtoarms. I have to spread more before I give it to the other guys.