Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

header tape?

Old 08-30-2003, 06:46 AM
DAAAANG & OHDAANG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch MattnTheHATch
Default header tape?

what kind of tape is used for headers and intakes to keep heat lower?? where can u get it and what makes it work?
Old 08-30-2003, 09:40 AM
Die reinste Bösen.

gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear gear

its some sort of fiberglass wrap, i believe the premise behind the wrap is basically instead of letting all the heat out into the engine bay, it contains all that thermal energy, and keeps it from soaking into the engine bay... supposed to work pretty good, but i think once it goes on, its never commin off
Old 08-30-2003, 11:41 AM
Awesome.

MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E MA-HALF-E

Any auto parts store should have it. Just go right up to the desk and be like "I need some header wrap." Quick and dirty.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:05 PM
WRX Wrencher

wrx+ is an unknown quantity at this point

No, its not fibre glass, and its not asbestos. I don't really know what its made of. But the best brand is DEI from design engineering inc. ph#440-934-0800. Its main use is to control temps under hood since most oem heat sheilds will not fit once you start doing mods. Alot of people think that wrapping the headers and exhaust also add a few HPs since it helps keep the exhaust gasses hot maintain their velocity. I'm not convenced of the last however, I use it on my WRX to maintain the heat in my high flow cat to prevent the os from throwing a cel. What are you doing to your s2k?
Old 08-30-2003, 12:11 PM
WRX Wrencher

your regular auto parts store probly will not carry it the only place I could find it in stock was the speed shop in newport news off warwick blvd. Cost was $48.99 +tax for 2 inch wide X 50 foot long roll.
Old 08-30-2003, 12:20 PM
aus deutschland

Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen

it's called Heat Wrap but i read a few articles that it's really not good for your Headers because after a while it'll start putting holes through them and that's something you dont want...now putting it on the intake is another story...but then again it doesnt really keep heat OUT it just keeps it from going OUT so not much use there since intake air shouldnt be hot anyways,lol........

-pat
Old 08-30-2003, 12:26 PM
WRX Wrencher

Will not cause holes if you use it on stainless, and coat it according to the instructions with high temp silicone.
Old 08-30-2003, 01:15 PM
HHIC

Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite Flite

Matt, what the hell are you doing now?
Old 08-30-2003, 01:22 PM
boom tick boom tick

Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum Victum

his intake is making him lose power and he cant find his stock one ..... doh!
Old 08-30-2003, 01:40 PM
SOI SOI SOI SOI SOI

vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage vmspionage

don't do it - when you go for state inspection if they see any kind of wrap they will assume it's an "exaust repair" (ie, a patch) and can reject your car until you pull it off