Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

head gasket question,re-use cometic ?

Old 05-25-2009, 06:11 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
b182boost has disabled reputation
Default head gasket question,re-use cometic ?

i put a cometic head gasket on my car about 3 months ago(preping it 4 turbo)now i,m about to pull the head to put a built head on,question is can i reuse this gasket?i think i'll be ok,just wondering anothers opinion
Old 05-25-2009, 06:21 PM
Red is the new green

NoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these partsNoTorque is infamous around these parts
Default Re: head gasket question,re-use cometic ?

no, get a new one, you'll be glad you did. dont ask how i know
Old 05-25-2009, 06:22 PM
Its Lightish Red

JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab JStab

fuck it, run headgasketless
Old 05-26-2009, 07:45 AM
Registered Member

gasketless,why would you even waste your time to type something so ignorant?do you have such an empty life that the most entertainment you have is to post nonsense on someones thread?grow up dude,or atleast find yourself a new hobby besides posting stupid shit on peoples thread
Old 05-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

Originally Posted by b182boost
gasketless,why would you even waste your time to type something so ignorant?do you have such an empty life that the most entertainment you have is to post nonsense on someones thread?grow up dude,or atleast find yourself a new hobby besides posting stupid shit on peoples thread

Why would you waste time in making a thread with this question. You should never reuse a head gasket that has been on a running car.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:46 AM
Brown Water

Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend Livin_Legend

+1 like ^ said. Head gasket is the most important gasket on a motor. Sanity rules!!
Old 05-27-2009, 07:55 AM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Originally Posted by b182boost
i put a cometic head gasket on my car about 3 months ago(preping it 4 turbo)now i,m about to pull the head to put a built head on,question is can i reuse this gasket?i think i'll be ok,just wondering anothers opinion
FAIL.

Always always always always always always use a new headgasket. And running gasket-less is not as ignorant as you might think....back in the "old days", enthusiasts of the carbeurated big block would mate the head straight to the block without(yes, without) even using the gasket, purely to bump the compression up every little bit possible.

If ya don't know, now ya know.
Old 05-27-2009, 07:57 AM
Registered Member

i figured since it's only been up there like 2 and a half months or so that it would be still re-useable ,especially since they cost a good deal more than an oem one
Old 05-27-2009, 08:43 AM
TreblicTunedFTW!!

Subie2Honda Subie2Honda

Head gaskets are what is referred to as a "crush-type" gasket. A crush type gasket actually "crushes", which helps it maintain a strong and proper seal. That also helps it mate properly to both sides of your engine. When you remove the head and re-install it, there's no guarantee that it will line up in the exact location it did when it was first installed, and it's extremely likely it will leak again.

FYI, I had my head gasket done "professionally", and the first time I ran her she leaked. I had that brand new gasket on there less than a couple weeks, and I'm still replacing mine with a brand new cometic unit. I even opted to have the head checked by a machine shop to ensure it's still true before reinstalling. You do as you wish, just friendly advice.
Old 05-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

I would go with an OEM head gasket if it is a Honda. That is what I use on all of my applications and I have never had an issue.

Good luck with your build

Quick Reply: head gasket question,re-use cometic ?