Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

head gasket

Old 08-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Justa lil 6

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough
Default head gasket

how can i tell if my headgasket is blown without driving the car? anything i can do or check or look for?
Old 08-25-2003, 09:17 PM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

1) while its cold, start the car.. take ur radiator cap off while its running and if it starts flowing out like crazy then its blown.
2) white smoke coming out exhuast and antifreeze/water coming out exhaust.
3) check oil on dipstick or drain it. if it is a milky brown color then that means there is water in the oil and the gasket is blown.
4) look around where the head meets the block and see if thers any coolant running down the block.
5) pull the spark plugs out. the cleanest one is usually the cyl closest to the blown part of the gasket. one of the plugs could be broke as well.

Last edited by g S x; 08-25-2003 at 09:19 PM.
Old 08-26-2003, 05:27 AM

1evilS10 is an unknown quantity at this point

yea if it is leeking than its gone it happen to my truck 2 years ago
Old 08-26-2003, 07:31 AM
Justa lil 6

Dang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the roughDang Yo is a jewel in the rough

well i checked the spark plugs, i replaced them about a week ago, they are all still new lookin, the oil seems ok, the radiator is full, there is no coolant on the block, but there is water coming out of my exhaust, i bought the car a month ago and hasnt been driven since, i start it everyday but someone told me it could just be condesation. could it? the car doesnt over heat, i let it run about 10 minutes everyday and it doesnt overheat, just water and steam comes out of the exhaust, i am sure it is just steam. so what could it, a blown head gasket or just condensation...???
Old 08-26-2003, 07:39 AM
RIP Chris Schader

g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x g S x

if its just small amounts of water its ok but if it leaves a river behind with green coolant its the headgasket.
Old 08-26-2003, 07:58 AM
Justa lil 6

like if i rev it a little bit it shoots out, i checked it for coolant, there isnt any coolant in it it is all water....
Old 08-26-2003, 10:56 AM
RS Doscientos

litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic litlespic

Water in exhuast is normal to an extent.. mostly on the start up and first few minutes.. unless its white smoke your fine.. cause I dont think water could with stand making in the cylinder and out the exhuast with out turning to steam
Old 08-26-2003, 12:35 PM
Lost Cat Magnet

drifterJERRY is an unknown quantity at this point

if that amount of coolant is flowing through your exhaust you would defn. be able to smell it...u know that sweet, yet kinda sour smell....hard to explain exactly but you would smell it for sure.

do a coolant pressure test and a compression test to be sure though.