VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   H22a swap rev limit issue (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/h22a-swap-rev-limit-issue-487632/)

Spoook84 11-25-2014 07:30 AM

H22a swap rev limit issue

I recently put together my h22a swap in a 95 ex coupe and everything seems great up until I hit vtec and then it hits a redline at 6800 or 7000. I've run over everything about twenty times now and can't seem to figure this out. My setup is p28 chipped ecu from ha motorsports. When i had them make the chip for the car I told them everything that i was running, 70 mm throttle body, butterfly delete, header, 2 1/2 inch exhaust and whale penis. I have changed my tps sensor, map sensor and o2 sensor and I changed the oil cause I was stupidly running 5 w30 instead of 10w30 which i changed within a few days of running it like that. I cleaned the vtec solenoid filter which barely had anything in it and the solenoid itself works plus no leaks either. It hits vtec at 5500 but hits a rev limiter at 7k just not sure why. Any thoughts on this situation? I'm also running the resistor box for stock obd1 prelude injectors as we'll. Car runs great and engages vtec fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

BAN HAMMER 11-25-2014 11:28 AM

Re: H22a swap rev limit issue

Originally Posted by Spoook84 (Post 8328052)
I recently put together my h22a swap in a 95 ex coupe and everything seems great up until I hit vtec and then it hits a redline at 6800 or 7000. I've run over everything about twenty times now and can't seem to figure this out. My setup is p28 chipped ecu from ha motorsports. When i had them make the chip for the car I told them everything that i was running, 70 mm throttle body, butterfly delete, header, 2 1/2 inch exhaust and whale penis. I have changed my tps sensor, map sensor and o2 sensor and I changed the oil cause I was stupidly running 5 w30 instead of 10w30 which i changed within a few days of running it like that. I cleaned the vtec solenoid filter which barely had anything in it and the solenoid itself works plus no leaks either. It hits vtec at 5500 but hits a rev limiter at 7k just not sure why. Any thoughts on this situation? I'm also running the resistor box for stock obd1 prelude injectors as we'll. Car runs great and engages vtec fine. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

What is it supposed to hit limiter at? Also that sounds like a tune issue, if everything you checked is good then there should be no problem with it winding out to what it needs to.

Spoook84 11-25-2014 02:53 PM

I'm not sure, ha motorsports never mentioned what the rev limiter was suppose to be but I'm guessing they put that their so I wouldn't blow it up since they was taking a shot in the dark about the fuel trim with the added mods, they just didn't mention it to me if that is the case. The check engine light flashes right when it hits the rev limiter. I was just trying to make sure before I spent the money to get it it tuned that everything worked before I drop 350.

Fabrik8 11-25-2014 03:04 PM

Stop banging it off the rev limiter if you don't have a good tune and know you have a CEL when it hits the rev limiter. You have a chip made based on a prediction of your mods, but it isn't an actual tune for your mods. Does that really seem like a great idea to beat the shit out of it without a proper tune?

Spoook84 11-25-2014 04:40 PM

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 (Post 8328184)
Stop banging it off the rev limiter if you don't have a good tune and know you have a CEL when it hits the rev limiter. You have a chip made based on a prediction of your mods, but it isn't an actual tune for your mods. Does that really seem like a great idea to beat the shit out of it without a proper tune?

I've done it maybe 4 times, I just wanted to make sure the car ran fine before I wasted 350, I'm not sure what the rev limit is suppose to be I assumed it would be the stock rev limit of an h22a. The cel only pops up when I hit the rev limit or what ever it is. If it's part of their safety solution to someone not blowing up the engine then i'm fine. I just needed to make sure it's not an issue before the tune just incase it was going into some type of safe mode.

Hooch 11-26-2014 12:04 AM

Im no expert but ....going over 7k in any honda that isn't built just feels like a terrible idea to me. When i read the thread title i was thinking your revs were cutting at 3500 or something and was gonna tell you your ecu was fucked an is in limp mode but at 7k that isn't the case.

Seriously though the limit is prolly set somewhere close to 6800.

Am I wrong to feel like winding this thing any higher is a bad idea?

Fabrik8 11-26-2014 03:58 AM

Stop talking about redline. That's just the strip of red on your tach and nothing happens there from an enginen control standpoint.

BAN HAMMER 11-26-2014 05:10 AM

:facepalm:

OP is this your first Honda?

The check engine light flashes when you hit rev limit because it's programed in the ECU to do that..

What pisses me off is that you came in here asking why your car limits out at about 7K and you have no idea what it limited out at stock... Sounds to me like the car runs perfectly fine, you just think its supposed to be some 9K beast that it isn't.

HypeRHatch 11-26-2014 03:02 PM

Well honestly, your car isnt even tuned to the proper trim if it hasnt seen a dyno. You need to fix all your CELs and once that is done find yourself a reputable tuner and take care of your tuning issues which then will determine where your "Fuel Cutoff" (aka REDLINE) is supposed to be. If the car only makes power til a certain RPM then it shouldnt exceed that range. Also spending $400 for a tune isnt called a "WASTE" its called doing things the right way and having the best possible MAP for your motor. Every setup is different I feel you should reevaluate your build if you dont want to "waste $350"

Spoook84 12-20-2014 04:15 PM

Update on the situation, the car was fine from the beginning and the issue was the cel comes on from the rev limiter engaging. It turns out the tachometer is off by a lot their is 190k on the car so it's not the same as it use to be. The car does still run a little bit rich but it's fine. It would of been a waist if I had taken to a tuner and he'd charge me the same price wether the car was running right or not. That is considered a waist of money, i wanted to make sure before going to somebody thats gonna just take my money wether the car is running right or not properly is definitely a waist unless your balling. I never expected to rely on a base map for final numbers, just to get the car running. I've been a mechanic and very good with honda's just haven't encountered this problem before. I needed a response from people who had idea's not protocols. Thanks for all the help I figured it out. I'll be back in a week or so to show before and after dyno numbers.