Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

h22 spitting gas in the exhaust

Old 10-28-2009, 05:41 AM
Whatever it takes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch
Default h22 spitting gas in the exhaust

I recently did a head gasket job on an H22. This was my first valve lash adjustment but i don't think its that bad out. there is a small downpipe leak as well. once the car starts the spark plug in cylinder #4 stays completely clean and bone dry. There is also gas shooting straight out of the downpipe hole as well spraying gas all over the oil pan. The other three spark plugs are black as can be but wipe off easily.

The car sounds rough. I double checked to make sure everything was TDC and everything lines up. Any suggestions as to what i can check next?
Old 10-29-2009, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

SmokeCRX has disabled reputation
Default Re: h22 spitting gas in the exhaust

Originally Posted by ls/vtecstitch
I recently did a head gasket job on an H22. This was my first valve lash adjustment but i don't think its that bad out. there is a small downpipe leak as well. once the car starts the spark plug in cylinder #4 stays completely clean and bone dry. There is also gas shooting straight out of the downpipe hole as well spraying gas all over the oil pan. The other three spark plugs are black as can be but wipe off easily.

The car sounds rough. I double checked to make sure everything was TDC and everything lines up. Any suggestions as to what i can check next?
Woah...I'm not sure what u did. If the #4 is stayin dry...there's no gas goin in that cyl. Figure that out first. Are u sure its gas your spitting out? If it is...I would think you have the valves adjusted wrong. How did u go about adjusting them? You dont have to when doin a HG...
Old 10-30-2009, 05:03 AM
Whatever it takes

ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch ls/vtecstitch

The number 4 cylinder now has gas going through it. When i look down into the spark plug hole the piston looks cleaned off from the gas, just not sparking. the injector plug wasn't seated properly. Checked the wires and it is getting spark. I figure this is an easy fix but the other thing is what i am really worried about.

It's definitely gas spitting through the exhaust leaks. By spitting i mean spraying like a fire hose. almost as if it is going straight through a cylinder and out the exhaust.

Last edited by ls/vtecstitch; 10-30-2009 at 05:06 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:05 AM
LIKE A BOSS

jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey jdm monkey

valves stuck open?

Last edited by jdm monkey; 10-30-2009 at 05:10 AM.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:30 AM
Whatever it takes

a good way to check for that? i did the lash adjustment and while that was going on it didn't look like any of them were sticking. I gave the head to the head shop to inspect and mill for me when the gasket blew. They said everything was ok at that time.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:54 AM
DESTROYS DONUTS !!

MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT MORE IMPATIENT

do a leak down test, youll be able to see if air is staying in the cylinder or if its just flowing out. if its just flowing out, you have a stuck valve. or a valve leak. which could be a bad valve seal, or the valve seats may need to be redone. or bad rings. Did the headshop do any of that ? or did you just have it resurfaced. and are you ceratin all your timing is proper. if the valves are just staying open cause the timing isnt correct that could possibly be a part of it as well. BUT also, if you have no spark, but a ton of fuel going into the cylinders, you may not have a problem at all. if youve got good compression and such and your just dumping fuel inside the cylinder, it may just be getting pressed out by the compression.
Old 10-30-2009, 06:13 AM
Whatever it takes

the head shop did a leak down test on the head but i hav not done one on the whole setup with the head on the block. I did do a pressure test in the coolant lines (this is what was leaking in the first place) but that turned out good. Timing is good. I thought this might have been it also so i checked it twice.

So i should try a leakdown test within the cylinders? I was thinking mabye the spark plug was bad even though they are brand new and have never seen a mile on them. I redid the valve lash adjustment as i have never done one before. Could i have possibly bent a valve if my valve lash adjustment was not correct the first time i fired it up?