Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

H-SERIES CUSTOM CAM HELP ASAP!!!

Old 09-07-2010, 12:14 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
droe2001 has disabled reputation
Default H-SERIES CUSTOM CAM HELP ASAP!!!

HI IM NEW TO THE FORUMS AND I HAVE A BIG QUESTION THAT NEEDS TO BE ANSWERED IN A HURRY, I HAVE AN H22 HEAD THAT I BOUGHT ALREADY PORTED AND POLISHED FROM A GUY ON HERE. IT CAME WITH SUPERTECH VALVES HIGH COMPRESSION FLAT WITH BLACK NITRIDE COATINGS, TITANIUM SUPERTECH SPRINGS AND RETAINERS. I ALSO BOUGHT A SET OF USED "CUSTOM GROUND" CAMS OFF OF A FRIEND. DIDNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM. I TOOK EVERYTHING TO THE MACHINE SHOP THIS MORNING TO HAVE 3 ANGLE VALVE JOB DONE AND REASSEMBLY. I ASKED THE MACHINIST TO GIVE ME ANY INFO HE COULD ON THE SPECS OF THE CAMS. THIS IS WHAT HE TOLD ME: EXHAUST 1. .214 EX 2. .290 EX 3. .180 AND INTAKE 1. .180 INT. 2. 315 INT. 3. .235 THAT IS THE LIFT ON ALL LOBES. HE SAID HE HAD NO WAY OF TELLING ME THE DURATION. I HAVE BEEN COMPARING TO AFTERMARKET AND STOCK CAM SPECS THAT I HAVE FOUND ONLINE BUT NOTHING IS CLOSE TO THE INFORMATION I HAVE ON THESE. I AM SCARED TO RUN THEM AS I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CAMS AND AM AFRAID THAT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DO WELL WITH THE SETUP I AM GOING FOR. FYI I ALSO HAVE A DC. HEADER, AEM V2 CAI, AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS STOCK. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AND GIVE ME ADVICE AS TO WEATHER THESE SOUND LIKE N/A OR TURBO. AND IF THEY ARE GONNA BE OK FOR MY NEWLY BUILT HEAD. I ALSO HAVE STOCK IF NOT. I AM RUNNING N/A FOR NOW BUT PLAN ON BOOST IN THE COMING YEAR. THANKS IN ADVANCE
Old 09-07-2010, 12:17 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch
Default Re: H-SERIES CUSTOM CAM HELP ASAP!!!

Originally Posted by droe2001
HI IM NEW TO THE FORUMS AND I HAVE A BIG QUESTION THAT NEEDS TO BE ANSWERED IN A HURRY, I HAVE AN H22 HEAD THAT I BOUGHT ALREADY PORTED AND POLISHED FROM A GUY ON HERE. IT CAME WITH SUPERTECH VALVES HIGH COMPRESSION FLAT WITH BLACK NITRIDE COATINGS, TITANIUM SUPERTECH SPRINGS AND RETAINERS. I ALSO BOUGHT A SET OF USED "CUSTOM GROUND" CAMS OFF OF A FRIEND. DIDNT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT THEM. I TOOK EVERYTHING TO THE MACHINE SHOP THIS MORNING TO HAVE 3 ANGLE VALVE JOB DONE AND REASSEMBLY. I ASKED THE MACHINIST TO GIVE ME ANY INFO HE COULD ON THE SPECS OF THE CAMS. THIS IS WHAT HE TOLD ME: EXHAUST 1. .214 EX 2. .290 EX 3. .180 AND INTAKE 1. .180 INT. 2. 315 INT. 3. .235 THAT IS THE LIFT ON ALL LOBES. HE SAID HE HAD NO WAY OF TELLING ME THE DURATION. I HAVE BEEN COMPARING TO AFTERMARKET AND STOCK CAM SPECS THAT I HAVE FOUND ONLINE BUT NOTHING IS CLOSE TO THE INFORMATION I HAVE ON THESE. I AM SCARED TO RUN THEM AS I DONT KNOW ANYTHING ABOUT CAMS AND AM AFRAID THAT THEY ARE NOT GOING TO DO WELL WITH THE SETUP I AM GOING FOR. FYI I ALSO HAVE A DC. HEADER, AEM V2 CAI, AND EVERYTHING ELSE IS STOCK. PLEASE TAKE A LOOK AND GIVE ME ADVICE AS TO WEATHER THESE SOUND LIKE N/A OR TURBO. AND IF THEY ARE GONNA BE OK FOR MY NEWLY BUILT HEAD. I ALSO HAVE STOCK IF NOT. I AM RUNNING N/A FOR NOW BUT PLAN ON BOOST IN THE COMING YEAR. THANKS IN ADVANCE
stop typing it caps for starters, and if you are afraid to run them, then don't it..plan and simple......
Old 09-07-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered Member

LEFT ONE THING OUT, THE GUY I GOT THEM FROM BOUGHT THEM IN AN ALREADY ASSEMBLED MOTOR, THE GUY THAT BUILT THE MOTOR SAID THEY WERE CUSTOM GROUND STAGE 2 ALL MOTOR CAMS? THERE IS ENGRAVING ON THE ENDS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE DONE AT A MACHINE SHOP. THAT SAYS TBONE AND 97LUDE. MAYBE THE CUST NICK NAME OR SHOP, AND CAR
Old 09-07-2010, 12:19 PM
Registered Member

acura tl acura tl acura tl acura tl acura tl acura tl

plan and simple........ the way i like it
Old 09-07-2010, 12:20 PM
Registered Member

sorry about caps! lol i am at work and we have to keep caps lock on! didnt think about it. i am afraid they are not the right specs for my head. if you cant help me then what was your reason to post? im in a time crunch here
Old 09-07-2010, 12:21 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch NasTHatch

LEFT ONE THING OUT, THE GUY I GOT THEM FROM BOUGHT THEM IN AN ALREADY ASSEMBLED MOTOR, THE GUY THAT BUILT THE MOTOR SAID THEY WERE CUSTOM GROUND STAGE 2 ALL MOTOR CAMS? THERE IS ENGRAVING ON THE ENDS THAT LOOK LIKE THEY WERE DONE AT A MACHINE SHOP. THAT SAYS TBONE AND 97LUDE. MAYBE THE CUST NICK NAME OR SHOP, AND CAR
once again, stop typing in caps, and the markings are not the cam markings to identify them, those are like you guessed, nick names
Old 09-07-2010, 12:23 PM
RIP DRAGVA-2016

sorry about caps! lol i am at work and we have to keep caps lock on! didnt think about it. i am afraid they are not the right specs for my head. if you cant help me then what was your reason to post? im in a time crunch here
if you do not know anything about the cams, do not run them its that easy....sell them, trade them, use them for door stoppers,but i would never run a cam that i do not and can not find info for.
Old 09-07-2010, 02:35 PM
Registered Member

ok i did some more research online and came to the conclusion that the custom ground cams are actually bigger than stage 3 cams, i used the formula that i found to get cam lift, lobe height x rocker ratio = lift, with that i multiplied the mid heights BY RR and came up with exhaust of 449 and intake of 488, that is a more aggressive lobe than crower stage 3 drag cams with mid of 468 on both exhaust and intake! the guy did say that they had a real nice lope, also with the aftermarket valve train this should work good right? any thing i should worry about?
Old 09-07-2010, 09:11 PM
Digital Life

83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0 83Stang5.0

It sounds like a nice setup for the head, but that is alot of cam for a more or less stock setup.

If you plan on boosting, just sell them, or trade for some turbo cams. You'd need a solid tune to run those as is anyways.
Old 09-08-2010, 07:48 AM
Registered Member

ok i am in roanoke, va. i need to know where i should go closest to me to get a good solid tune, any suggestions. also you say that they are too much cam, those lift specs are for vtec i think only, the rest go as follows. ex 1 331 2 449 3 279 and in 1 279 2 488 3 364, as for stock, before i start driving it i plan on getting skunk2 intake manifold larger throttle body, i already have a header cai, i need to upgrade exhaust sys. and i will probably go with msd ignition. i have the top of the line ngk plugs and wire already with less that a grand on them. what else will make it less stock enough to run them? also its an odb2 h22a4, is there anyway to tune without swapping to odb1? thanks in advance

Quick Reply: H-SERIES CUSTOM CAM HELP ASAP!!!