Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

h series cam gear size plz help

Old 04-01-2012, 04:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bzmotoninja83 has disabled reputation
Question h series cam gear size plz help

hey all. i have a h23 head sitting on a f22 block sensors in teh dizzy( incase someone asks)
i am re-doing the timing belt and discovered that i need new cam gears because the crappy aftermarket gears got worn and have a razor edge on teh outer edge and it shredded the old belt and, are not "flat" anymore.
this is why i am changing the belt and tensioners. i received a set of h22 gears because in a post somewhere before i had someone tell me that i have h22 gears and crank gear. went to size them and the new ones are about 1/4" smaller all the way around. what is the factory size of a h22 cam gear and a h23 cam gear? i know one had 40t and the other has 34t but the aftermarket gears i have on the car right now have 40 and the h22 gears i got are also 40t. just hella smaller.
Old 04-01-2012, 06:52 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: h series cam gear size plz help

It doesn't matter what size the gears are as long as the tooth count is correct. You might need a different length timing belt though.

Anyway, I don't know which gears are compatible with that particular engine, I just know about timing ratios.
Old 04-01-2012, 07:05 PM
Registered Member

bzmotoninja83 has disabled reputation

So say i have h22 upper and lower i can swap h23 upper and lower just might need different belt?
Old 04-02-2012, 06:32 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Thinking about it, if the tooth count is the same and the diameter is different, that means that the tooth pitch must be different. If the tooth pitch is different, the belts won't be interchangable. That just occurred to me.