Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

GTI OWNERS HELP ME OUT

Old 05-25-2010, 07:41 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
rollinonabean has disabled reputation
Default GTI OWNERS HELP ME OUT

So I am tryin to get back in a volkswagen cause i miss my 'ole jetta gl and I'm lookin to buy a GTI either an MKIII VR6 or an MKIV 1.8T because the 2.0l just didn't do it for me.

I want to know, of the two (mk3 vr6 vs. mk4 1.8t), stock which is a better engine?

And down the road which can I upgrade easily for higher hp #'s?

What do most people do to vr6's? forced induction? all motor?

And how much power can the 1.8t's hold on the stock engine safely?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-25-2010, 07:46 AM
static air

Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas Douglas
Default Re: GTI OWNERS HELP ME OUT

1.8t > vr6
Old 05-25-2010, 07:51 AM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by VeeArrSix
1.8t > vr6
how so? sorry im new to vw
Old 05-25-2010, 08:26 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

lol at this arguement, this is something that will NEVER EVER EVER be settled, its all in preference man.

if i were you, i'd buy a MKIII 12v VR6, lighter, cheaper, and def. more fun to drive, then the piggish MKIV.
Old 05-25-2010, 08:45 AM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

Originally Posted by rollinonabean
So I am tryin to get back in a volkswagen cause i miss my 'ole jetta gl and I'm lookin to buy a GTI either an MKIII VR6 or an MKIV 1.8T because the 2.0l just didn't do it for me.

I want to know, of the two (mk3 vr6 vs. mk4 1.8t), stock which is a better engine?

And down the road which can I upgrade easily for higher hp #'s?

What do most people do to vr6's? forced induction? all motor?

And how much power can the 1.8t's hold on the stock engine safely?

Thanks for any help.
MKIII's are notorious for having electrical problems and a lot of miscellaneous (particularly interior) stuff breaks on them, quite frequently. Window regulators, for example, go out like they were designed by Somalian pirates and they aren't exactly cheap to replace. If you do look at MKIII's, make sure you check the undercarriage and rockers for rust and rot. Also a pretty common problem now. As for the 12v VR powerplant in them, they are awesome motors... and they can be the biggest headache ever. It's essential that they have had regular maintenance performed in a timely manner (timing chains, guides, water pump, coilpacks, etc, etc.)... or else. Just make sure you can verify, through either paperwork, or personal inspection, that these major items have been taken care of.

VR power is great, stock. I believe a stock motor will but about 150-160 to the ground. Nothing spectacular but great for daily use. However, like most Honda motors, squeezing N/A power out of them is a bitch and is very costly. I think without some serious mods (upping displacement and such) they can see around 220 whp but that will cost a lot of money and virtually everything must be done to them for that to be achieved. F/I is definitely the way to go with these motors but like with any motor, it's not exactly cheap. When done right, they can produce 350 to the wheels, reliably, all day. 500+ if you spend the money and time and never want to drive it.

MKIV's are decent cars and they are newer, so, in theory, they shouldn't have as many problems. I'd say one of the bigger things to worry about is that these were very popular cars with younger crowds and a lot of them have been beat. They come with both a 12v and 24v VR6, both being pretty similar engines, ergo, they have similar problems (what was mentioned before). I believe 24v's make 10 more hp from the factory and are more mod friendly as they respond to them better.

1.8t's are great motors. In stock form they are peppy and civilized but can be turned into 4cyl gorillas with a few mods. With an upgraded turbo, injectors and a tune you can see 300hp on stock internals, safely. 350 if you want but the connecting rods in these motors, apparently, get sketchy after 300. Other than regular maintenance, I don't know of anything in particular to look out for with these motors. If you're looking at one with upwards of 110,000, make sure the timing belt and water pump have been addressed but that's just about any motor.

Stock for stock, get a 1.8t, particularly if you don't plan on modding it. Solid reliable power with parts readily available and reasonably priced... for the most part.

If you have any more questions I'd be glad to try and help. I'm no VW guru or anything but I will try to help to the best of my ability. I hope this info helps!
Old 05-25-2010, 08:51 AM
Gaming Extraordinair

Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk Daft Punk

I love my 2.0L MK4.... fuck haters.
Old 05-25-2010, 09:22 AM
Function > Form

6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY 6CYLINDRSYMPHNY

lol
Old 05-26-2010, 06:42 AM
Registered Member

thanks 6cylindrsymphny you really helped me out.
Old 05-26-2010, 07:10 AM
This.isEntertainment

Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn Uzi Crooklyn

2.0L > all