Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

GSR Turbo Build Question

Old 01-21-2009, 07:22 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AdubsGSR has disabled reputation
Default GSR Turbo Build Question

Alright, here's the deal... I've come to the decision that I'm finally going to boost my motor (B18C1). My hp goal is between 280-300whp, nothing crazy. From what I'm told, that hp goal is safe on stock internals and that I wouldn't have to sleeve or build until 300+hp. Is this relatively true or not so much? Also, what size turbo would be good for this motor and hp goal? I don't want an ass load of lag but I know some is to be expected. I'd greatly appreciate any help you guys have to offer.
Old 01-21-2009, 08:28 AM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt
Default Re: GSR Turbo Build Question??????

read read read and read some more... we can tell you what parts to get, but are you really learning from it that way?
Old 01-21-2009, 09:07 AM
Registered Member

I've read read read but all the reading in the world isn't going to gain me any experience. I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience boosting a stock motor at around 8psi or if they heard anything to the contrary about low boost on stock internals. I don't want people to spell out a list piece by piece. Hell, I've got about 70% of what I need so far. Some turbo brands to stay away from would be appreciated though. I know to stay the hell away from ebay, turbonetics, and xs power turbos so far and have heard good things about Percision and Garrett.

Last edited by AdubsGSR; 01-21-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:37 AM
Eh

NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay NaIsGay

I had a peakboost kit on a stock internal gsr back in the day and it made 350 to the wheels on 11psi. That was with a garrett 57rrim.
Old 01-21-2009, 10:51 AM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

I would say go with a .60/.63, on my stock Gsr I was making pretty close to 350 on 10psi...

Just be sure and watch your timing... Ring lands will go if you aren't careful...
Old 01-22-2009, 12:43 PM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt

Originally Posted by AdubsGSR
I've read read read but all the reading in the world isn't going to gain me any experience. I was just wondering if anyone had any first hand experience boosting a stock motor at around 8psi
no... you still need more... 8psi on a dinky T3 is not the same as 8psi on a GT3071r
Old 01-22-2009, 02:11 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by ChokolAwt
no... you still need more... 8psi on a dinky T3 is not the same as 8psi on a GT3071r
Of course I do, I don't know it all but I never suggested what turbo would be on 8psi. I'm guessing you were assuming I was asking about a T3 specifically or that I was comparing the two and making power claims. I know that those two differ in the way they're made, cooled, and perform. In an effort to not repeat myself, I''ll ask that you read my second post. Umm thanks for the help?
Old 01-22-2009, 02:15 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Hatch Man(GsR)
I would say go with a .60/.63, on my stock Gsr I was making pretty close to 350 on 10psi...

Just be sure and watch your timing... Ring lands will go if you aren't careful...
So a T3/T4? Were you using stock axles with 350whp? Thanks for the help btw
Old 01-22-2009, 02:18 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by CustomX
I had a peakboost kit on a stock internal gsr back in the day and it made 350 to the wheels on 11psi. That was with a garrett 57rrim.
Ok, so you took yours up to 11psi? How long did the motor last on that amount? Anything break?
Old 01-22-2009, 04:55 PM
Keeping It Real !!

ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer ravenracer
Default Re: GSR Turbo Build Question

It all depends on the quality of your parts and the health of your engine. I had a b18c also and ran mine on 10 psi which gave me 293 whp on a hondata tune. I recommend not going past 9 psi if you want your engine to last. Like I said before if you have quality parts and a good setup you can reach 280 whp with 9 psi. I recommend getting a thicker head gasket and get a digital boost controller. Run a low boost & a high boost setup. Unfortunately my boost was floating all over the place one night and went to 13psi which blew the engine.

Quick Reply: GSR Turbo Build Question