Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

GSR jumping at 3,000 rpms

Old 05-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
retro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to all
Exclamation GSR jumping at 3,000 rpms

/

Last edited by retro; 05-23-2011 at 09:05 PM.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:35 AM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K
Default Re: GSR jumping at 3,000 rpms

Originally Posted by retro
Hey driven, I will do my best to explain this problem. Hopefully someone here can relate.

My JDM B18 is having some problems and i was hoping to find some basic answers here on driven before i bring it somewhere and drop cash to find the problem. Well like the title says in every gear (2-5) the motor somewhat "jumps" it seems and the jumping lasts from about 3,000 RPM - 4,500 RPM and of course because of this my VTEC is not engaging at all. The motor idles completely fine (at 1,000RPM) and i recently put new autozone wires in. I cleaned the corrosion off the distributor rotor cap and that seemed to help calm the "jump" in it. But if you guys need me to explain more please let me know ill post my motor setup here, to see if that will help anyone diagnose.

-JDM B16a SiR1 head
-B18C1 bottom end
-GSR tranny w/ Phantom Grip LSD
-chipped p28 ecu with Chrome
Sounds like VTEC is hitting early..?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
Registered Member

retro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to allretro is a name known to all

so how would i go about fixing this, maybe getting a vtec controller?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:38 AM
######

L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K L_U_C_K

Who tuned it, and where did you get the ECU?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered Member

thats another problem.

I bought the car off a kid in richmond, he never specified who tuned it and never said where he got the ecu. To be honest i dont even know if the car is tuned... would you suggest me to take it up to inlinePro and see if they can look at it and possibly tune?
Old 05-10-2011, 11:43 AM
certified asshole

crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi

CEL?? If so check it. Try another distributor especially if it is an advance or auto zone one, it does not matter if its brand new either, those things are the biggest pos to ever come from those places.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:37 PM
Registered Member

probably gonna order one of andys...but yeah i will see if that helps might start looking for a new ecu as well
Old 05-10-2011, 03:53 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Go get tuned. Also check that the check engine light is turning on (temporarily) when you turn the key, because people disconnect the light instead of solving problems that cause a CEL. That's the first thing to check when buying a Honda.
Old 05-10-2011, 04:18 PM
Registered Member

yeah the light is on for a few seconds right when i turn the ignition, if that happens that means its not disconnected right?
Old 05-10-2011, 04:31 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by retro
yeah the light is on for a few seconds right when i turn the ignition, if that happens that means its not disconnected right?
Yes, it's working correctly.

Quick Reply: GSR jumping at 3,000 rpms