Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

getting ready for my first turbo

Old 01-26-2008, 10:36 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231
Default getting ready for my first turbo

im looking to turbo my car and im new to the whole turbo thing so i have lots of questions lol. i dont want to run a whole lot of boost, im looking to keep stock internals, i have heard that stock honda motors run good up to 8psi, but i want enough to make it worth me boosting the car so what is a good psi to run and what are some hp and torque numbers i could expect from it. also what are some good things to get checked or looked at or to do to get my motor ready to be boosted? what other things will i need if i just want to run low boost, would i need a fuel pump or injectors or anthing like that at all? how much will i look at spending on tuning and is the vafc that i have in the enough to get it tuned with? what are the important things that i will need other than the turbo kit?
Old 01-27-2008, 03:05 AM
TurboPipingSystems

thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal thermal
Default Re: getting ready for my first turbo

what motor are you gonna boost?
Old 01-27-2008, 06:01 AM

tatmonster has disabled reputation

Injectors, Boost gauge, Tuning Program(hondata, crome, etc, dunno what car/motor you have). I would think thats all you would need for the bare basics with the turbo kit itself. Turbo Timer, Boost controller could be extras that prolly arent needed, just nice to have. Check my thread, I have a COMPLETE turbo kit for sale on there. No BS everything is there. Goodluck man. ^by the way the man posted before me knows what the deal is too.
Old 01-27-2008, 06:08 AM
Registered Member

CrJenkins13 is on a distinguished road

No motor is safe unless you get a quality tune, so no, your VAFC won't work. There are too many variables to give you a direct HP range that you can look at, instead you need to get a horsepower goal in mind, then build towards that.

You will need a fuel pump, and injectors.
Old 01-27-2008, 11:46 AM
Registered Member

nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231 nogo1231

the motor is a '95 GSR
what size injectors will i need to run low boost?i really dont have a HP range that i want, i just want a lil more ass to my car. also what things are good to do before i install the kit? i have heard that i should do a compression and leak down test
do i have to get a bigger fuel rail or high flow fuel filter or anythign with the bigger pump and injectors?
also whats a good cheaper tuning program and what would i need? what would the tuning run me?
Old 01-27-2008, 01:35 PM
braap braap

Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod Jarrod

Before the clowns come in here and talk A1000 pumps and 1000cc injectors for a 250whp goal. Let me provide you with this.

Select your tuner. I have many I can recommend, PM me if you'd like, depending on if you want Crome/Hondata.

440cc injectors will be more than sufficent. A walbro255 is the pump you need. Thats all you need for your fuel system.

Get a tunign software, crome or hondata.

And buy QUALITY parts, not EBAY TURBOS. Not ebay anything.

Inlinepro makes a good ac compat manifold. Drag, blox, revhard also make good ones.

Have you done a recent tuneup on the motor, new plugs, wires, belts, cap/rotor, pcv valve, fuel filter etc etc? Have you done a compression test to see if the motor is healthy?
Old 01-27-2008, 09:07 PM
Dickbutt #peentip

Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin Kris.Is.Foamin

Don't forget the clutch... everyone seems to forget to add that in.
Old 01-28-2008, 11:56 AM
Registered Member

LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage LifeMage

also you might want to invest in some gauges ie. boost w/vac, oil pressure, egt, and also wideband a/f.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:11 PM
Banned

DecentCivicZ6 is an unknown quantity at this point

One thing im gonna say...get a cast turbo manifold and end any future cracking problems for good.and they are half the price. also here is a godo site for name brand parts turbo shit.

http://www.treadstoneperformance.com/index.phtml and pricing is some of the best ive ever seen. they also have turbo manifolds for almost every single import car on there. spec v's you name. and priced perfect. and they are not cheap ebay shit. good cast manifolds.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:28 PM
Registered Member

http://www.x-factorturbo.com/product...roducts_id=667

i was looking at that kit but now that i was shown that website this is another that im considering http://www.treadstoneperformance.com...+GSR+all+years

and i thought of the clutch too, would a stage two clutch be enough or should i go for a stage 3+

and what are yalls opinions on which way to go for a boost controller, i was looking at the AEM tru boost because its the gauge and controller in one, and i was also looking at getting an apexi turbo timer

i have a a/f gauge but i have heard that there are wide and narrow band a/f gauges but from what i heard, the narrow bands just create a light show and dont provide any usefulll information, and from what i have heard and can tell i think thats what i have cuz mine just likes to go from rich to lean and just go back and forth...

also on my valve cover, i think the bolt is stripped out cuz it jsut turns and turns when you go to tighten it, i want to have that looked at as well as have it compression tested...what is a good place that could do that for me?