Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Gear selector is very, very hard to move

Old 06-26-2011, 05:04 PM
GLHF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo
Default Gear selector is very, very hard to move

Vehicle is an 03 Xterra. Shifting either up or down, to or from and gear, the gear selector is a bear to move. Its my GF vehicle, and it normally takes her two hands to move the damn thing. Only thing I've done is check the fluid since its dark outside, and it has the right amount of fluid.

Aside from these vehicles being complete crap, what could be the issue here?

Just turning the key to on, you can here the relay, or whatever it may be, when you press the break to allow you to shift gears. Whether it is actually working and not frozen, i'm not too sure.

Last edited by WutupYo; 06-26-2011 at 05:12 PM.
Old 06-26-2011, 07:27 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Gear selector is very, very hard to move

So this sounds like an automatic transmission?
Old 06-26-2011, 07:30 PM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

its most likley the cable frozen up...either pull the console apart and spray it with brake cleaner...if its had numerous drinks/coffee spilled it will have gummed it all up...open the doors...vent it out...brake cleaner will evaporate then lube it with wd40 and work it back and forth...it should free it up...also check the linkage at the tranny to see if something is bent...you can also disconnect it from the tranny and see if it is indeed the cable...
Old 06-26-2011, 07:41 PM
i pooped a squirrel

Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes Gen_Crunchytoes

Originally Posted by nftuatn
its most likley the cable frozen up...either pull the console apart and spray it with brake cleaner...if its had numerous drinks/coffee spilled it will have gummed it all up...open the doors...vent it out...brake cleaner will evaporate then lube it with wd40 and work it back and forth...it should free it up...also check the linkage at the tranny to see if something is bent...you can also disconnect it from the tranny and see if it is indeed the cable...
x2
Old 06-27-2011, 02:06 PM
GLHF

WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo WutupYo

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
So this sounds like an automatic transmission?
Correct
Originally Posted by nftuatn
Thanks, I'll give that a shot this weekend. Much appreciated.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:42 AM
GLHF

so, a month later, I haven't torn into it yet, but, her dad did. all he did was disconnect the linkage, determined that it isn't the gear selector, and the brake safety switch is functioning fine (which i'm assuming only prevents the button from being pressed). with his foot down and the linkage disconnected, the selector moves easily. trying to pull on the actual linkage cable is incredibly hard.

He seems to think it is something inside of the transmission. opinions? When its not hot as shit outside i'm still going to take the center console apart and try to clean the cable, she is gone all week so i should have a chance.
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM
baller/dickbutt#69

nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn nftuatn

Well you need to disconnect it from the tranny,if it is still stiff then its just the cable...if you can remove one end of the cable you could remove it from its outer casing and clean,lube,grease it back up and slide it back in...

Cliffs
Pull out
Lube
Put back in