Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

g35 start/idle issues

Old 11-27-2013, 03:46 PM
Registered member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad
Default g35 start/idle issues

I'm having an issue with my '04 coupe and I need some assistance.. this is sort of a long post but I wanna give as much detail as possible.

long story short, about a week ago i had just filled up and i was getting on the highway when i noticed the entire dash had stopped functioning and the low oil light and tire pressure monitor lights popped on. The engine was running fine and the car was fully on, literally just the dash was going crazy. I just pulled over to the side and turned the car off, and back on, and everything worked as it should... it was extremely strange but i didnt think much of it.

Now today, infact 30 minutes ago,
I went to start the car and the VDC OFF and SLIP lights turned. After letting the car warm up, i noticed the radiator fans werent turning off, and again, the dash was non functional cept for the gas. So I turned the car on and off several times, but nothing. Being at work right now, I couldnt do much but I did try to disconnect the battery and see if that made a difference but also nothing. ....then after a few tries, everytime i turned the car on and gave it gas, it hesitated and even almost stalled at one point. In a nut shell, everytime i turn the car on, the radiator will run constantly, and none of the dash features will work besides gas and the VDC and SLIP lights will turn on. And the car will sometimes hesitate on the throttle... Anybody have any input on this???
Ive posted on g35driver but the only responses im getting is clean the throttle body, check fluids or try and reset the ECU. I will be attempting these fixes once I get back to the car.

I still need to drive home in a few hours and im considering towing it because without the engine temp gauge workign and the radiator on the fritz, I dont know how cool or hot the engine is and obviosly dont want to damage it further....

Thanks in advance.
Old 11-27-2013, 04:10 PM
Registered member

SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad SyedUmarAhmad
Default Re: g35 start/idle issues

one thing i just wanted to mention that i just realized...both times I had gotten gas from the same shell gas station. the first time I experienced the car turning off literally right after getting gas, and today, i left the gas station, got to work, and am experiencing it now. Maybe its just a coicidence?
Old 11-27-2013, 05:27 PM
-RepLegion

Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head Mau5head

Check the MAFS <those things will seriously fuck things up and make it (A) Not start or (B) start and run all kinds of fuckered.

also check grounds and battery terminals clean tighten as needed.
Old 11-27-2013, 05:59 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by Mau5head
Check the MAFS <those things will seriously fuck things up and make it (A) Not start or (B) start and run all kinds of fuckered.

ill double check the terminals. I've heard cleaning the MAFS would help but would it explain the whole radaitor thing? ill be cleaning it tomorrow morning in hopes it'll do something.

Update-- so i got back to the car, as of now, the car will do 1 of 2 things. Either it will start, radiator fans unnecessarily running without stopping, and VDC and SLIP lights on, OR it will start, radiator acting completely normal, but VDC SLIP and SERVICE ENGINE light on...
Old 11-27-2013, 06:04 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

Originally Posted by Mau5head

What this guy said. Clean the grounds off(All of them. Thermostat ground, engine ground, trans and battery ground) Clean MAF. I know the 350z was an electrical nightmare. Don't know for sure if the g35 is. I do know they like to burn oil though.
Old 11-28-2013, 06:38 AM
Registered member

thanks for the input,
I can assume the g35 is just as horrendous considering they both have the same motor.
After doing more searching, ive come to the conclusion that its either the MAFS that needs to be clean, or the CAM SHAFT POSITION SENSOR that apparently needs to be replaced (supposedly Infiniti issues a recall in 2003 or something). My car is showing symptoms of both issues. Just still not about the radiator thing ..
Old 12-01-2013, 08:15 AM

99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute99blackcivicsi has a reputation beyond repute

if the MIL is on then have the codes scanned they are notorious for a p0340 or 345 (cam sensors b1 and b2) a lot of times you will get a an extended crank with that code.

Your oil light though is what concerns me, it pops on when pressure is low (nissan spec of under 14psi @ idle) and that can be caused by the pump cavitation or by simply not having enough pressure, the vq35 and vq40 both blow the gasket on the rear cover out and the proper fix would be to replace the rear timing cover (its not that bad to do just a little time consuming) or swap the new gasket on it (the new gasket is not made of paper its made of a composite material)

As far as ground terminals to clean your main egi grounds are on the timing cover and behind it (theres a 12mm head bolt hidden by the p/s pump) normally a ground issue is not the case unless a car has been torn apart previously, however the negative battery cable is problematic and likes to separate at the crimp connection.

If you think your vehicle has not had the cam sensor recall done then you should call any nissan/infiniti (yes nissan can run infiniti recalls) and give them your vin and see if any open recalls exsist or i can do it for you if you PM me your vin and i'll tell you if the recall has been done or not, it wasn't a whole lot of vehicles that got the cam sensors replaced under the recall back in 03 (the vin range was only 20000 cars)

the long and short of it is get the car scanned if you have a p034x then cross your fingers and replace the corresponding cam sensor and hope the chain isn't stretched or the oil galley gasket isn't blown. Only way to know for sure to check for chain stretch is to look at the cam angle degree with a Nissan consult machine or with a high end scan tool with good data stream.

Hope that helps sir.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:34 AM
Registered member

Originally Posted by 99blackcivicsi
if the MIL is on then have the codes scanned they are notorious for a p0340 or 345 (cam sensors b1 and b2) a lot of times you will get a an extended crank with that code.

Your oil light though is what concerns me, it pops on when pressure is low (nissan spec of under 14psi @ idle) and that can be caused by the pump cavitation or by simply not having enough pressure, the vq35 and vq40 both blow the gasket on the rear cover out and the proper fix would be to replace the rear timing cover (its not that bad to do just a little time consuming) or swap the new gasket on it (the new gasket is not made of paper its made of a composite material)

As far as ground terminals to clean your main egi grounds are on the timing cover and behind it (theres a 12mm head bolt hidden by the p/s pump) normally a ground issue is not the case unless a car has been torn apart previously, however the negative battery cable is problematic and likes to separate at the crimp connection.

If you think your vehicle has not had the cam sensor recall done then you should call any nissan/infiniti (yes nissan can run infiniti recalls) and give them your vin and see if any open recalls exsist or i can do it for you if you PM me your vin and i'll tell you if the recall has been done or not, it wasn't a whole lot of vehicles that got the cam sensors replaced under the recall back in 03 (the vin range was only 20000 cars)

the long and short of it is get the car scanned if you have a p034x then cross your fingers and replace the corresponding cam sensor and hope the chain isn't stretched or the oil galley gasket isn't blown. Only way to know for sure to check for chain stretch is to look at the cam angle degree with a Nissan consult machine or with a high end scan tool with good data stream.

Hope that helps sir.
Thanks for all the info, upon this weekend I was basically convinced it was the p0340 code you had mentioned because I had basically all the same symptom. I got around to running to advanced auto parts this weekend to get the free scan, and it showed different results.. Of course, their readers are probably not half as accurate or advanced as many out there but it read a code of P1124- ETC Motor Power.... no sign of the p0340. So again im confused at what exactly the issue may be... and ontop of the symptoms sort of changed also. The car does not go into limp mode any more at all. It starts right up and drives fine every single time, literally just with the check engine light on; no more VDC or SLIP lights on.

As far as the oil pressure goes, I cant guarentee but I think the gaskets are all intact because as mentioned earlier it only came on the very first time and that was literally just for a few seconds, it hasnt popped on again since. Ill probably take a peek tomorrow just to double check but with all these issues occuring, ive been driving around completely fine with no hiccups at all, literally just the light on.

I havent looked much into the p1124 code but I just ran a quick google search and it typically (depending on manufacturer) reults in a Throttle Control Motor Relay Circuit Short... assuming the fix is as simple as that.
Old 12-02-2013, 11:36 AM
Registered member

http://nissanhelp.com/diy/obd_codes/...initi_g35.html

does this makes sense to anyone?
Old 12-02-2013, 01:00 PM
Registered member

Originally Posted by SyedUmarAhmad
I wanted to mention that throughout the researching for my issue, I found that everyone had who had a similar issue had at one point driven their car through rain and it resulted in water getting into the IPDM and that was what causing all these malfunctions.. Just to clarify; It rained heavily the day of all these incidents im talking about and I distinctly remember driving through two massive puddles. Apprently on the other forums, people are claiming that during the rain, water had found its way into the IPDM or relay section and that is the cause problem, I am starting to think that that is exactly whats going on here...

sorry for the massive confusion in this thread.. but I suppose that is the result of trial and research

Quick Reply: g35 start/idle issues