Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

fuel injected or carb?

Old 04-01-2006, 08:37 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
10secondtyler has disabled reputation
Default fuel injected or carb?

i just wanted some opinions on what would be best for a 92 mustang?????
Old 04-01-2006, 08:42 PM
Banned

crvtt717 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: fuel injected or carb?

It is sooo much easier to go carborated in my opinion. I was thinking about it for my zc honda motor. I know this is a different vehicle but not having to worry about codes, injectors, ecu remapping, etc is awesome imo. just my 2 pennies
Old 04-02-2006, 09:38 AM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Honestly, I would rather stay with Fuel Injection. CRVTT717, Why would you do that with that motor? It's pointless really, ecu remapping etc etc??? I mean you can get uberdata, crome all that good stuff for fairly cheap!!!! What would you do if you decided to spray or go turbo with your car?? Lot's of modifications since its a honda ZC motor. Really, In my opinon, Stay Fuel Injected!!
Old 04-02-2006, 11:13 AM
Nic
Patron

Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic Nic

I went carbed with my LX about 8 months ago and I wish I had sooner. The car is superior to the EFI cars I've built in every way imagineable, not to mention, I'm running a lot faster for a lot cheaper than I would have been with EFI. I'll never go back to EFI...
Old 04-02-2006, 11:37 AM
I drive a coupe

Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR) Hatch Man(GsR)

I think you should do whichever you want...
Old 04-02-2006, 04:24 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you're running faster with carbs than EFI, you haven't tuned your EFI right. I've seen countless carb'd cars converted to EFI with far superior results. But hey, to each his own. Carbs are simple and easy, but if you want the best in tuning and power over the whole RPM/load range, EFI has it all.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:50 PM
Banned

DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
If you're running faster with carbs than EFI, you haven't tuned your EFI right. I've seen countless carb'd cars converted to EFI with far superior results. But hey, to each his own. Carbs are simple and easy, but if you want the best in tuning and power over the whole RPM/load range, EFI has it all.
I was waiting for you to chime in.
Old 04-02-2006, 06:59 PM
Registered Member

TheMx3 is an unknown quantity at this point

EFI all the way.
Old 04-02-2006, 08:38 PM
fabricated reality

kawgomoo can only hope to improve

basically stick with what you know.

on a drag only car carbs can be the way, since there easier to tune for track conditions {assuming your not efi savvy}

on the other hand tuning an efi car just requires pushing buttons, no real work.

efi works far better if you need to drive the car daily. carbs just suck cause when the weather changes, they dont. altitude.. same thing. drop in baro.. you get the picture.

if you have a super huge cam and no vacuum efi can get a little tricky, but of course there are ways around that.

generally carbs are the cheap way out, efi works much better, costs way more. {initially} but since ur car is a 92 its already efi... so why rip it out?

oh yeah.. almost forgot. if you ever plan to go boosted, carbs are a total pain in the ass.

nic.. id imagine your carbd cars are superior because you lack the tools or knowhow to properly tune an efi car. but anyone with a screwdriver and a couple wrenches can get the carb pretty close... which all they have to be. efi is a science and generally has to be dead nuts in order to give proper results. so like i said, whatever you are more comfortable and familiar with will obviously yield the best results in your situation

Last edited by kawgomoo; 04-02-2006 at 08:42 PM.
Old 04-02-2006, 10:22 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

If you're running a setup that radical then you're not going to be running closed loop where vacuum would matter, you're probably going to be using an alpha-N setup instead. You're not going to care about idle vacuum.

Ask anyone who has tuned a EFI setup without a base map how much work it is, it's not just button pushing unless you're using polished and integrated application-specific software. I see your point but it's greatly oversimplified.

Quick Reply: fuel injected or carb?