Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Flood damaged cars

Old 01-26-2015, 09:20 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC
Default Flood damaged cars

I'm considering this vehicle

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...86380103&Log=0

As it states " Has salvage history on the title from water damage". I would take it to the dealer to be checked out before I purchased. I've never bought a water damaged car and know that rust and wiring gremlins can pop up. But there's a chance it could be completely fine. So my question is, would it be worth the risk and does anyone have any personal experience with flood damaged cars??
Old 01-26-2015, 10:06 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout
Default Re: Flood damaged cars

Clicked on AutoCheck (within the ad) and found

"Reported in an accident
Branded a lemon or total loss
Damaged in a flood
Reported repossessed or stolen"

Sounds like a real gem.
Old 01-26-2015, 10:30 AM
Not-So-Fatty McFat

BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC BLU CIVIC

eh, it's the wording they used to make you pay:

These records could mean that this car was cared for by an outstanding owner -- or they might mean that this Lexus was:

Reported in an accident
Branded a lemon or total loss
Damaged in a flood
Reported repossessed or stolen
Or more...

Last edited by BLU CIVIC; 01-26-2015 at 10:33 AM.
Old 01-26-2015, 12:38 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Its a 2002 with 200k miles and a flood damaged salvage title. The price still seems high.

If you can talk them down a lot, and you're looking for a project car that you'll always have problems selling because of the title, then go for it.
Old 01-26-2015, 01:04 PM
Anal hammer

JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal JacKal

I owned a flood damaged car and I can say with absolute certantity I will NEVER buy another one I don't care what the fuck it looks like. I had nothing but trouble with it.
Old 01-26-2015, 03:46 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by JacKal
I owned a flood damaged car and I can say with absolute certantity I will NEVER buy another one I don't care what the fuck it looks like. I had nothing but trouble with it.
That's why I said "project car"...
Old 01-26-2015, 08:08 PM
WEEEEEEEEEEE

TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT TATTRAT

Originally Posted by Teggy Teg
My car got flooded twice. After letting it dry out for a week each time, it droved fine with no major issues. But personally, I wouldn't buy a flooded car.
"it droved fine".
Old 01-26-2015, 09:24 PM
Registered member

vietballer vietballer vietballer vietballer vietballer vietballer vietballer vietballer vietballer vietballer vietballer

I bought a 99 civic LX that was "flood damage" from the auction a couple of years back. I had to rip apart the interior and clean the shit out of it. A lot of rust was found inside, especially under the dash where the pedals and stuff were. After the cleaning still had a funny smell inside. Mechanically, I was very lucky in that everything worked fine with just some tweaking with some wires connected to the ECU. The car served as a fun daily driver and it was just that. Would I buy another flooded car? Hell no. It's a PITA to clean up.

Regarding to the car in your link, that price is not low enough for the mileage and history like Fabrik said. If you could wait it out, there is always one similar to what you linked for around that price. Hope that helps. Good luck in your search.
Old 01-27-2015, 02:49 AM
Registered member

yahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these parts

Do you know where the car is coming from? A salt water flood car is going to be worse than a freshwater flooded car. I remember many of the "superstorm sandy" cars were being offloaded for cheap because they had been submerged for a few days.
Old 01-27-2015, 05:02 AM
MARK IT ZERO

ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout ufctapout

inb4alligatorintrunk

Quick Reply: Flood damaged cars