Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

A few questions about my Honda (squeaking, popping, etc)

Old 10-20-2005, 10:05 AM
~

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
nickyroo has disabled reputation
Default A few questions about my Honda (squeaking, popping, etc)

The car is a 1994 Honda Accord 5 speed... It doesn't have any big issues just some little things that are acting funny.

1. When move from a stop, most of the time there is a noise that sounds like someone taps once on the frame with a hammer. It's like a pop noise.

2. The front windows roll up really slowly.

3. There is a lot of squeaking coming from the front of the car. It's not when I hit giant potholes either, a lot of times I'll hear it when driving on a typical (Norfolk) road and when turning. I think it's coming from the driver side.

4. If I'm going ~45mph+ and the road is lightly curved the steering wheel has a little bit of shake in it.

5. Sometimes if I'm driving and let off the gas without pushing the clutch (RPMs still up) I can feel a vibration/pop in the gas pedal.

Any of these sound familiar?
Old 10-20-2005, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

slvrgtstang has disabled reputation
Default Re: A few questions about my Honda (squeaking, popping, etc)

Originally Posted by reuter
The car is a 1994 Honda Accord 5 speed... It doesn't have any big issues just some little things that are acting funny.

1. When move from a stop, most of the time there is a noise that sounds like someone taps once on the frame with a hammer. It's like a pop noise.

2. The front windows roll up really slowly.

3. There is a lot of squeaking coming from the front of the car. It's not when I hit giant potholes either, a lot of times I'll hear it when driving on a typical (Norfolk) road and when turning. I think it's coming from the driver side.

4. If I'm going ~45mph+ and the road is lightly curved the steering wheel has a little bit of shake in it.

5. Sometimes if I'm driving and let off the gas without pushing the clutch (RPMs still up) I can feel a vibration/pop in the gas pedal.

Any of these sound familiar?

whell the squeaking while turning part sounds like you have a broken axle..... honda's are famous for breaking axles very very easy. A friend has broke his 3 times and his car is stock. But instead of us trying to help you, take it to a friend who is a mechanic or get someone to look at it. That way you don't waste time trying to find out the answer, someone else will and they will fix it... If you have a friend who IS a mechanic, get him to loook at it. probably cost you a hell of a lot less if you can do it that way.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:17 PM
Registered Member

steronz steronz steronz steronz steronz

it does indeed sound like you have 1 or more bad axles.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:20 PM
~

If the axle is broken, then I'm gonna assume metal shards are floating around in the gear or transmission oil? isn't that a pretty big risk to drive around on...?

this is a daily driver by the way. i drive the car like a grandma. do hondas break axles out of nowhere? seems kind of shitty to me. my 400+hp car on drag radials has never broken an axle, and my 100hp daily driver might have broken one. what the fuck.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:21 PM
~

what do yall think about that popping noise when accelerating from a stop? it probably happens at like 2 or 3mph. i think i remember my old automatic 95 prelude doing this also.
Old 10-20-2005, 12:28 PM
corona connessuer

CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA CHAHONDA

If the axle is broken, then I'm gonna assume metal shards are floating around in the gear or transmission oil? isn't that a pretty big risk to drive around on...?

this is a daily driver by the way. i drive the car like a grandma. do hondas break axles out of nowhere? seems kind of shitty to me. my 400+hp car on drag radials has never broken an axle, and my 100hp daily driver might have broken one. what the fuck.
no nick...the axle being bad in a honda will not damage the transmission in anyway. hell you can drive a honda with a bad axle untill it decides to just quit altogether. then it just wont move. from what you are describing it sounds like nothing major...just fairly annoying. i can take a look at it if you want. you have no metal from the axle floating around in your tranny
Old 10-20-2005, 12:59 PM
~

cool. so what usually happens to make an axle go 'bad?' do they just fracture? the splines wear down on them?

also do you know anything bout that popping noise when i take off? thats what's buggin me the most. i guess it could be the suspension adjusting because of movement but the car has aftermarket coilovers on it and good shocks so that wouldnt make too much sense. what do you think?

and sorry if these are dumb questions. i dont know jack about FWDs lol
Old 10-20-2005, 01:24 PM
Registered Member

steronz steronz steronz steronz steronz

i dont know jack about FWDs lol
lol, it's cool. the axles are of the constant velocity (CV) sort, which means you have a complicated 3-wheeled joint at each end of each axle. the joint is covered by a boot which holds in the axle grease to lube the joint. over time the boot will rip, the grease will fall out, then the wheels wear down and start popping. you can drive for a long time like that, but eventually those joints are gonna wear down and stop turning, and if that happens doing 80 on the highway....yeah. so usually it's recommended to fix them sooner rather than later, but you've got some time.
Old 10-20-2005, 01:31 PM
Registered Member

slvrgtstang has disabled reputation

yes honda axles are crap. doesn't matter, any pothole can break one.
Old 10-20-2005, 02:13 PM
Sumospeed #O.G.

SlowLS is an unknown quantity at this point

Could also just be warped rotors. Usually if axles are broken, you will know cause they will click when you turn.

Quick Reply: A few questions about my Honda (squeaking, popping, etc)