Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

engine will start but sputters occasionally 1995 accord

Old 02-17-2012, 06:44 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slowd16y8 has disabled reputation
Default engine will start but sputters occasionally 1995 accord

Ok let me start by explaining what I have here. I have a 1995 accord that has had a swapped f22b1 vtec installed (was already swapped when I bought it). I have found a bullfrog throttle body has been installed, the intake mani has been ported and polished, DC sports header, ApexI full exhaust. There is a possiblity that it has an aftermarket cam (we are not sure). I have had the head decked, valve job, cleaned. replaced the plugs and wires, timing belt, distributer, coil pack, water pump, tensioner, balance shaft belt, brakes, rotors, wheel bearings, ball joints, tie rod ends, thermostat, oil changed, radiator flushed and shocks in the front. Everything I have done has been over the past few days. All gaskets and seals have been replaced as well.

Now, we can get the car to start and it runs fine but every 3-4 revolutions it has a little stutter, but immediatly corrects itself. Now keep in mind I did the valve adjustment on it myself (which was a first for me) I'm sure that I didn't tighten them down too far but I'm sure they are more loose than need be. Since everything has been installed I know that the motor has only ran for maybe a total of 20 minutes.

Could the cam possibly be aftermarket,...if it is how do I find out, could this be the problem?
Could the timing be off? We have been through the timing belt about 7 times to make sure and I'm seriously wondering if the cam is aftermarket because we would either need to retard it or advance it to make the timing right at that point.

Thank you for any insight that you could possibly give in advance.
Old 02-17-2012, 08:22 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: engine will start but sputters occasionally 1995 accord

Decking the head can change the cam timing.
Old 02-17-2012, 02:02 PM
Registered Member

slowd16y8 has disabled reputation
Default Re: engine will start but sputters occasionally 1995 accord

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Decking the head can change the cam timing.
Should I retard the timing or advance it if the decking would change the timing?

I found out that when the machine shop reworked the head they didn't check the valves to make sure they were good so I have to replace both intake valves on the #2 cylinder...for what I paid them I should have just had new valves installed. So far thats the problem that we have found. I will post back to let everyone know if there is anything else.