Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Engine Swap

Old 11-13-2008, 05:45 AM
Modified 4 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B18Tuner is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Engine Swap

Hey, whats going on ladies and gent, and you occassional fags out there.

I have a 96 Accord Ex, 4cyl automatic. I'm looking to swap the motor for either another F22B1 or a F20B or possibly an H22A. Which ever route I go, i'm not looking to change the tranny to a manual. The slushbox will do just fine, since this will only be a DD. But for a good deal, I won't pass up the option of auto to manual conversion.

I've been outta the area and the scene for quite some time, so I'm not too sure what shops are even still open. I know Custom Car Care is still around, and their very good service, but are there any other RESPECTABLE shops on the peninsula. I could just take it to CCC, but it never hurts to shop around, ya know. I would rather pay more money to a shop, than to have to go back three or four times, to get minor shit taken care of. When I say respectable, I'm referring to "very good work".

I work here in Iraq, as a Govt. Contractor, so I really don't want to be chasing some shop owner down, via email or phone calls.

So if you fella's know of a good shop, preferrably on the Peninsula, give me a shout. If you know of one on the South Side, shit hit me up with them too.

The basics of the service will be motor swap, and maybe shock and spring upgrade.

Thanks for the space...
Old 11-13-2008, 10:51 AM
Registered Member

1rude2l has disabled reputation
Default Re: Engine Swap

h22 will bolt right up to any f series tranny.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:49 AM
I Love to Hate

B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well B-Well

Originally Posted by 1rude2l
h22 will bolt right up to any f series tranny.
and vice versa. do you just want the swap done or are you set on the auto manual convo? that will make a difference in which shop you choose
Old 11-13-2008, 12:04 PM
Classified Moderator

Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby Fobby

pm fobby lol
Old 11-13-2008, 08:46 PM
Modified 4 Member

sorry for taking so long to get back to you guys..... It's like an 8 hour time difference.between us.

No, i'm not really looking into doing a auto to manual conversion. Just swapping in a newer engine. My current one has a little over 200K on it, and at around the 140,000 mark, the head gasket took a shit. It was replaced, and the car lived to see another day.

The last time I drove the car, (Last Thanksgiving), it started having similiar issues, again. To be honest, I haven't checked it since. I got on a plane a few days later,and came over here to the sand box.

What I do know is that at the time of the head gasket replacement, we changed the radiator, radiator cap, thermostat, and a few other pieces. After the HG replacement, everything was fine, minus some issues with the vtec changeover if driven hard. But other than that, it was alright.

I could probably do this myself, when I take my vacation in late January, but on the real, shit that's my time to relax and kick back.

Thanks for the input.....
Old 11-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I'd get another transmission along with whatever you get. 200k on a tranny isn't much better than 200k on an engine.
Old 11-13-2008, 10:38 PM
Registered Member

ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt ChokolAwt

are you traveling right now?

why are you on a website labeled: VADriven, if your in a different timezone?
Old 11-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

I thought that was covered by the "I work here in Iraq" part..
Old 11-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Modified 4 Member

Ya dont' say.... So I guess I'll have to add a tranny to my shopping list. I guess I should just start looking for a complete changeover, instead of buying them separate.
Old 11-14-2008, 07:51 AM
Racetracks

Well, it would suck to put a fresh engine in there and have the tranny grenade in the not so distant future. It would be easy to replace them at the same time, or at least rebuild the tranny you have already with new bearings and whatever clutch pack system Honda uses in their auto trannys (I have no idea, I've never seen the inside of a Honda auto tranny).