Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Engine is HOT

Old 11-16-2002, 07:59 PM
Drag757.com Alumni

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G32BTurbo G32BTurbo
Unhappy Engine is HOT

I recently noticed that my engine temp is VERY high. The needle goes to the red zone near the H. And i've noticed that my fan doesnt come on. I drive through puddles and stop at a stop light and steam comes from under the hood and car. What are somethings that might be wrong?
Old 11-16-2002, 08:03 PM
Registered Member

slowgts is an unknown quantity at this point

sounds like a bad fan, switch, fuse, or relay
Old 11-16-2002, 08:32 PM
Registered member

socket_ has disabled reputation

if ur fan doesnt turn when u attempt by hand, then the center of it is melted together. i recommended english motors (i think thats were i got mine) on 17, they have a lot of used cooling fans. as with most auto parts, dont buy from the dealership, you'll save $.
hope this helps.
Old 11-17-2002, 01:15 PM
Pre-"Crash" Member

growley growley growley growley growley growley growley growley

are u sure u didnt break a belt?
Old 11-17-2002, 02:41 PM
Drag757.com Alumni

G32BTurbo G32BTurbo

Whoa!!! The fan worked when i tried it by hand and we checked the fuse, so thats cool, but there was something else that i found.. In the antifreeze/coolant tank there was this substance that looked like mud. There was brown sludge in there.. i replaced the radiator cap, cleaned out that sludge, poured new coolant, but its still over heating. my dad believes its the switch that went bad. Anything else i should look for?
Old 11-17-2002, 02:55 PM
aus deutschland

Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen Volkswagen
Default hmm...

i had the same problem...check your water pump.
Old 11-17-2002, 04:56 PM
INCONCEIVABLE!

MeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to allMeanGreenGSX is a name known to all

check the thermo stat, i think if there is a prob. with that the fans sometimes dont come on, maybe the temp sensor also
Old 11-18-2002, 11:24 AM
Iridium V

MGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond reputeMGBRaceman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Fans

There are many reasons for this failure. A mechanical fan has two main functions, 1, you could have a broken or slipping belt, 2 the fan clutch could be perminantly disengaged. An electric fan, well, first off, check your fuse box, as well as any relays along the circuit on the wiring diagram. There is a thermostatic switch in the radiator itself that may need replacement. Of course, there's always a bad fan motor as well. good luck man.
Old 11-18-2002, 12:49 PM
Drag757.com Alumni

G32BTurbo G32BTurbo

we tested the fan by hand, it works, replaced all the sensors, thermostat, etc etc. but it still over heats. we think the radiator is cloged. We took it to steves radiator on georgewashington near the new walmart. Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 11-19-2002, 03:13 AM
Hott shit homie

speedymon is an unknown quantity at this point

Are you guys dumbasses or what? Brown sludge in the radiator? Man you have a blown headgasket. Oil + antifreeze = brown mud. You might have warped your head too if it's aluminum. Get it checked out by a professional.

Quick Reply: Engine is HOT