Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

emmissions testing for obd2

Old 01-10-2010, 04:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Aim m3 Lat3r has disabled reputation
Default emmissions testing for obd2

not the everyday car on vadriven.

97 plymouth grand voyager. 3.0Lv6. check engine light is on. did emmssion test. failed with 3 codes thrown. it is a obd2. so my dad said the dude plugged in the device rather than put that stick thing in the exhaust tip pipe and run the car and test it that way. question is, if failed the first time. if i disconntect the battery and wait 5 or more minutes, reconnect battery which would turn off check engine light off. off for about 20 miles, if i do that and do the emmission test, will it pass or fail once more?

LMK, trying to get car pass for one more year
Old 01-10-2010, 06:50 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: emmissions testing for obd2

OBD2 codes will make it fail, and many (not all) of the OBD2 codes are stored in the ECU. OBD1 codes are cleared when the ECU power is cycled, and aren't stored.

So, you need to get the OBD2 codes cleared from the ECU, you can't just reset the ECU and have them go away. The real question is why do you have OBD2 codes that are making you fail emissions...?

Just to complete the full picture, OBD2 emissions require both an emissions test and a clean bill of health for emissions-related ECU codes.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-10-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 01-11-2010, 08:00 AM
Registered Member

the emission guy gave my dad this paper that said what made it fail. sheet says po403-egr, po134 bank1, sensor 1(02sensor), po305 misfire. my dad tells me the guy told him to replace cap and rotor for the spark plug stuff. replace 02 sensor, i think the one nearest to the engine from exhaust and i dont know what the egr is for. so to get codes clear from ECU, do i have to fix those problems which would clear it? or use device to tell ECU to clear it?

disconnecting and reconnecting battery with a 5 min span, have the check engine light turn off for about 20 miles, do that help at all? or only just the look of it will just make me think it will clear for a bit? this van has to many problems, we just need it to work for atleast one more year

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
OBD2 codes will make it fail, and many (not all) of the OBD2 codes are stored in the ECU. OBD1 codes are cleared when the ECU power is cycled, and aren't stored.

So, you need to get the OBD2 codes cleared from the ECU, you can't just reset the ECU and have them go away. The real question is why do you have OBD2 codes that are making you fail emissions...?

Just to complete the full picture, OBD2 emissions require both an emissions test and a clean bill of health for emissions-related ECU codes.
Old 01-11-2010, 03:27 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

There are active codes, which are displayed (check engine light) and there are stored codes (which are... ...stored). You need to fix the problems you have, which is what it will take to pass emissions. At some point after the problems are fixed, you can get the codes cleared from the ECU and then go get reinspected.

The EGR is the exhaust gas recirculation valve. Everything you listed is a fairly big deal from an emissions standpoint, and they all need to be fixed to pass.
Old 01-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Registered Member

-FABRIK8, Thanks for your input. i just thought i can find a way to get around fixing the stuff. but buying parts and doing own labor should be CHEAPER than a 600$ shop charge. Thanks again.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
There are active codes, which are displayed (check engine light) and there are stored codes (which are... ...stored). You need to fix the problems you have, which is what it will take to pass emissions. At some point after the problems are fixed, you can get the codes cleared from the ECU and then go get reinspected.

The EGR is the exhaust gas recirculation valve. Everything you listed is a fairly big deal from an emissions standpoint, and they all need to be fixed to pass.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 01-16-2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: Fixed the BB quote code..
Old 02-16-2010, 08:30 AM
B13 SE-R

Netw0rked Netw0rked Netw0rked Netw0rked

i have a question on the EGR, i have a 91 sentra se-r, highport sr20de.
if i remove the egr system i'm assuming i wouldn't pass emissions in virgina?
another question about the EGR, aftermarket intakes would not take the egr, correcT?
any and all information on this sytem would be great. would love to free up some engine bay space.