Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

electrical (i Believe) HELP!!

Old 11-09-2009, 04:00 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Jsoldier1 has disabled reputation
Default electrical (i Believe) HELP!!

I bought a Nissan 240sx 1993 about 2 months ago and the guy took out his sound system (everything except factory speakers and pioneer cd player) well Ive noticed that eveytime that i cut off the car the clock goes back to 1:00 and i cant even save channels on the cd player. the light in the ceiling doesn't go off if the doors are shut and it is in the neutral position so i have to keep that off at all times. but worst of all something is draining my battery and i don't know what it is i think it could be the cd player but i think its an electrical problem. everytime i go to start my car it gives a few clicks and that's it then i get a jump and it starts and works then i turn it off and cant start it anymore. i went to autozone to see if it was my alternator but they said it wasn't that they thought i had a sound system and told me to disconnect it.

Does anyone know what the problem is with the car please help.
I can give more info if asked thanks.
Old 11-09-2009, 04:18 PM
Cool story Hansel.

Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28 Chris28
Default Re: electrical (i Believe) HELP!!

Check all your fuses. My s13 does this too, I heard the fuse pop but I'm too lazy to actually fix it. You can check the FSM and trace wiring back to the fuses, just pick something like the dome light and follow the wiring diagram.

Dome light staying on could be related to the door switches, they are covered by black rubber plugs and are in the door jambs. Check those first, then check wiring.

As far as the draining issue, unplug your radio and see if that's the problem.
Old 11-10-2009, 07:58 AM
Registered Member

AE - Chris has disabled reputation

could be a combo of things. how old is the battery and is it the right size for your car. alternator output is best checked with a good battery. a draw test would be good to see what is drawing when car is off. its a bit of a process somtimes. let me know if you need more info on a draw test.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:29 AM
peaches

b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan b16EFsedan

typical for 240sx's...........battery killswitch is the easy route but, youll still have all the problems but no dead batery
Old 11-10-2009, 12:46 PM
Registered Member

Jsoldier1 has disabled reputation

i need info on a draw test
Old 11-11-2009, 08:48 PM
still alive

gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele gpeele

The best way to track something like this down is the old fuse pull method. Hook an amp meter in series with your car while the key is pulled from the ignition. Then start pulling fuses starting with the most obvious ones, for me it was the interior lighting fuse that was killing my battery. Once you get it down to the system you can leave the fuse out as a temporary solution. Plug the trouble fuse back in and use the fsm wiring diagram to start pulling plugs to find which switch or component is bad, once you narrow it down there find a new one and replace. OEM parts are expensive for replacement but is the most trouble free way to ensure the problem doesn't come back, if it wore out on your car chances are that junkyard part doesn't have much life left in it also.
Old 11-12-2009, 04:32 AM
Cool Hwhip

patrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to beholdpatrickr86 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Chris28
As far as the draining issue, unplug your radio and see if that's the problem.

this,