Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

EK wont start??????

Old 04-18-2010, 01:56 PM
DumpedTeg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90Skyline has disabled reputation
Default EK wont start??????

i have a 98 EK coupe that was miss firin and i changed the spark plugs and it cranked up fine and ran fine until i put my foot on the gas soon as i touched the gas it cut off and never cut back on then i changed the pick up and the coil in the distrubutor it cranked again then cut off when i touched the gas and now wont crank back up please help
Old 04-19-2010, 07:09 AM

actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball actionpaintball
Default Re: EK wont start??????

Guessing its coil/ignition related:

1. Test the Black/Yellow (BLK/YEL) wire at the igniter; it should have battery voltage with the Key On Engine Off (KOEO). The coil negative wire should also have battery voltage.

2. The Yellow/Green (YEL/GRN) wire should have 9 to 12 volts produced by the igniter. If the YEL/GRN wire has the correct voltage, the Engine Control Module (ECM) should pulse the voltage to ground, to create spark. This signal can be checked on a scope. Normal dwell is 10 to 14 degrees on a 4-cylinder scale. Also, the signal would be a square wave on a lab scope.

3. If the signal is good, look for a trigger signal on coil negative. Also, the dwell on coil negative should be close to the same at the YEL/GRN wire. If the dwell on coil negative is OK or there is a trigger signal, replace the ignition coil first.

Also look at Main Relay #1. My money is on a bad coil....lots of bad coils out of the box (new)
Old 04-19-2010, 06:21 PM
DumpedTeg

Thanks bro gonna try that tomorrow
Originally Posted by actionpaintball
Guessing its coil/ignition related:

1. Test the Black/Yellow (BLK/YEL) wire at the igniter; it should have battery voltage with the Key On Engine Off (KOEO). The coil negative wire should also have battery voltage.

2. The Yellow/Green (YEL/GRN) wire should have 9 to 12 volts produced by the igniter. If the YEL/GRN wire has the correct voltage, the Engine Control Module (ECM) should pulse the voltage to ground, to create spark. This signal can be checked on a scope. Normal dwell is 10 to 14 degrees on a 4-cylinder scale. Also, the signal would be a square wave on a lab scope.

3. If the signal is good, look for a trigger signal on coil negative. Also, the dwell on coil negative should be close to the same at the YEL/GRN wire. If the dwell on coil negative is OK or there is a trigger signal, replace the ignition coil first.

Also look at Main Relay #1. My money is on a bad coil....lots of bad coils out of the box (new)
Old 04-23-2010, 07:44 PM
Full Access Member

jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype jlgrtype

how about your ignition wires? have you tryed that.
Old 04-23-2010, 08:42 PM
Registered Member

00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts00si is infamous around these parts

check the ignition control module mine went bad and kept killing the coil
Old 04-24-2010, 08:29 PM
DumpedTeg

It was the distr and wires she's good now thanks everybody that gave me there input