Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ek tire noise

Old 02-29-2012, 03:42 AM
Revn Till 82k

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
xlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud of
Default ek tire noise

okay guys so i been having this problem for about a month now. It seems like it came out of no where. I dont recall having the noise or vibration before my motor was rebuilt. but after i got my car back it started. When I am driving straight you cant hear or feel it really but when I make a left/right turn, even the slightest one you car hear and feel like a rythmic humming noise. First thought was alignment but my alignment should be good i had it done back in may 2011, so not even a year yet. It sounds like them big ass lifted trucks with those big tires on them driving by you.(Not sure if that makes sense). My second thought is that it took about 1 1/2 months to build rebuild my motor and the shell never moved so maybe my tires could of developed a flat spot? And thought thats what could be causing the vibration, but i dont think my car sitting for that long on brand new tires could develop a flat spot. Then i did some research on the internet and then thought it could be a wheel bearing, but it makes vibrates and makes noise when i turn both left and right. What are the chances that both wheel bearings could have gone bad at the same time? I can also feel it in the stearing wheel when turning either way.. not crazy shaking but you can feel the vibration. My car is lowered if that helps any.. The noise isnt really my concern cuz when i turn my w3s up i cant hear shit. Its more of the vibration im worried about .. that shit is annoying as F***. Any ideas on where i should start looking?
Old 02-29-2012, 03:46 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.
Default Re: ek tire noise

Did the car sit without axles? If so jack the front up and see if there is any play in the wheel bearings.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:57 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

A flat spot would go away once the tires are warmed up. This sounds more like a wheel bearing problem, and having the car lowered changes how the wheel bearings distribute load and can accelerate bearing wear. So can wheels with non-stock offset.
Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 AM
Registered Member

Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy. Dough_Boy.

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
A flat spot would go away once the tires are warmed up. This sounds more like a wheel bearing problem, and having the car lowered changes how the wheel bearings distribute load and can accelerate bearing wear. So can wheels with non-stock offset.
And the sar sitting with no axles in it will cause bearings to go bad to.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:43 AM
Revn Till 82k

xlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud ofxlaox has much to be proud of

no the car did not sit without the wheels. how would i check which bearing is bad without taking it all apart?
Old 02-29-2012, 11:54 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Originally Posted by xlaox
no the car did not sit without the wheels. how would i check which bearing is bad without taking it all apart?

You can usually check for bearing play by moving the wheel back and forth, but this isn't always a reliable test. I've had a few bearings go bad with no easily noticable signs of play at all but lots of noise.