Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ek civic with ls swap starter wont turn over

Old 04-11-2012, 07:17 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bobisland has disabled reputation
Default ek civic with ls swap starter wont turn over

Make: Honda
Model: civic dx
Year: 96
Engine/Modifications in relation to the issue: LS swap with a b16 tranny
Issues/Questions: It started up fine for the first few weeks after the swap, but i parked it for a half hour and now the starter wont turn at all, but main relay clicks once whenever ignition is on(III). It can be pushed started when I pop the clutch and runs and idles fine with no problems. Starter cut relay test?
Failed solutions until now: ive replaced the starter, still nothing, and then had it tested and it was good. Fuses are good. Grounds have been replaced and contact points were cleaned (valve cover, transmission ground, and t-stat)
Old 04-12-2012, 12:33 AM
Registered member

LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE LeetPIE
Default Re: ek civic with ls swap starter wont turn over

Ground on the starter?
Old 04-12-2012, 07:36 AM
AaronDavis

AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis AaronDavis

the housing of the starter is the ground for it, which the only way the ground would be bad is if the engine wasnt grounded, which would cause lots of other driveability concerns besides no crank. If you got the starter checked and they said it's good that should mean the solenoid is good too (if they checked it properly) which means its most likely an ignition switch problem.

Go to the smaller wire on the starter and use a dmm to check for 12 volts when the key is turned to crank, if it doesn't read any voltage, then you have a problem from the key to the solenoid.

Hope that helps.
Aaron
Old 04-12-2012, 07:40 AM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

Originally Posted by AaronDavis
the housing of the starter is the ground for it, which the only way the ground would be bad is if the engine wasnt grounded, which would cause lots of other driveability concerns besides no crank. If you got the starter checked and they said it's good that should mean the solenoid is good too (if they checked it properly) which means its most likely an ignition switch problem.

Go to the smaller wire on the starter and use a dmm to check for 12 volts when the key is turned to crank, if it doesn't read any voltage, then you have a problem from the key to the solenoid.

Hope that helps.
Aaron
Sounds about right. Check for grounds as well
Old 04-12-2012, 10:36 AM
True Customs

T Lowgun has disabled reputation

try to jump the switch on the clutch pedal with a small piece of wire. if it starts strip and twist the wires together. this will bypass that switch and you will never have to push in the clutch to start the car again.

Last edited by T Lowgun; 04-12-2012 at 10:39 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:23 AM
Registered Member

Thanks much for the attention everyone ha, ive had this problem for a while, ive just been stumped on it.

Aaron:
If you got the starter checked and they said it's good that should mean the solenoid is good too (if they checked it properly) which means its most likely an ignition switch problem.
I tried to just jump the starter by touching the positive and negative leads on it, kinda just hotwiring it ha, but still nothing but a click. The distributor did however have a very fait hum while doing this. would the ignition switch still be a possibility?
Sounds good, ill try that in a bit and let you know

T lowgun:
I jumped the clutch switch, and still same symptoms :/

Last edited by Bobisland; 04-12-2012 at 11:31 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 11:34 AM
True Customs

if you jumped the starter from the large wire to the spot where the small spade connecter hooks up then you have to have a bad starter. make sure when you do this you unhook the signal wire from the ignition, turn the key on and car is in neutral. it should start up. just tap the wire don't leave it on there
Attached Thumbnails ek civic with ls swap starter wont turn over-starter_test.jpg  

Last edited by T Lowgun; 04-12-2012 at 11:41 AM.
Old 04-12-2012, 01:16 PM
Registered Member

I tried it again but still same thing. I just decided to drive it around for a bit and this time when I popped the clutch, it sputtered a bit and acted up at first (didn't do that before), but after I left it idling a bit it must have knocked something back into place, because I turned it off and back on again just to see, and it started up. It didn't the 2nd time but it at least tried to spin it, and just turned into rapid clicking. Tried jump starting it with a friends car, and it worked--slowly, but it worked. I think now the problem is the alternator or the wiring to it?
Old 04-12-2012, 01:35 PM
Registered Member

The whole starter problem was kind of an unfulfilling victory ha, because I wish I knew what happened to make this happen now that the starter will at least try to spin. It just feels/sounds like there isn't enough power going to it. The battery is new, and even had it tested, so I guess the next step is to check the continuity of the alternator wires
Old 04-12-2012, 02:46 PM
True Customs

idk sounds like a mess. get a friend that knows how to read a meter and go at it.

Quick Reply: ek civic with ls swap starter wont turn over