Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

EG hatch won't start - fried ignition component(s)

Old 12-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Igofast has disabled reputation
Default EG hatch won't start - fried ignition component(s)

Vehicle in question: 1995 Civic hatch DX 1.5l
Problem: won't start

So a friend of mine decided it would be a good idea to play a prank on me. He unplugged one of my spark plug wires *at the distributor*. I didn't know he did this, and I went to start the car. As I'm about to leave, he walks over and says "oh yeah, you should plug that spark plug wire back in, I thought it would make a more obvious difference in the engine." I go under the hood and see the wire hanging about 1/8inch from the contact point on the distributor. I can see the spark arcing from the distributor to the plug wire. ...then the car shuts off on its own. It won't start again. I've checked all the fuses, disconnected the battery to try to reset the ECU, taken off the distributor rotor to check it out, etc.

I have no idea what to try next. A friend of mine suggested that the ignition control module inside the distributor might have been fried by the spark re-arcing backwards into the distributor or something like that.

Any ideas?
Old 12-11-2012, 07:43 AM
Registered Member

boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge boostedvenge
Default Re: EG hatch won't start - fried ignition component(s)

When you try to start it, do you get spark on any cylinder? If not, there's your answer.
Old 12-11-2012, 10:17 AM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

I would go ahead and change the rotor, cap, and button and see what it does.

I would also punch your friend in the mouth as well.
Old 12-11-2012, 02:31 PM
Flatulence

PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov PicovAndropov

I second the punching your friend in the mouth. In fact, kick him in the nuts, then proceed with the Gangnam style dance. After he stops bitching about the pain, continue with a second swift kick, and proceed to dance. Do so until he buys all new ignition components. Profit.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:49 PM
Registered Member

Igofast has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by PicovAndropov
I second the punching your friend in the mouth. In fact, kick him in the nuts, then proceed with the Gangnam style dance. After he stops bitching about the pain, continue with a second swift kick, and proceed to dance. Do so until he buys all new ignition components. Profit.
Originally Posted by Yep4doors
I would go ahead and change the rotor, cap, and button and see what it does.

I would also punch your friend in the mouth as well.
HA! Thanks for the relationship advice. I'll refrain from playing ro-sham-bo (where I'll have the first, and only turn), until after I get my car fixed. <---being smart.
He pretty quickly owned up and volunteered to pay for everything. I think I'll take the opportunity to get all my ignition stuff replaced for free, but what do you think the real problem is?

BTW, I pulled out one spark plug real quick and hooked it up to a wire, it didn't spark. I'll check the others when I have time.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:52 PM
2doors plus 2.

Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors Yep4doors

Well since you're getting it fixed for free add plugs, wires, and coil pack to that list and double check all of your fuse boxes as sometimes people think a fuse is alright when it turns out to be bad.
Old 12-11-2012, 05:59 PM
Registered Member

da4door has disabled reputation

Ive had alot of coil packs just die out of no where with egs replace it and see what happens its free lol
Old 12-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Registered Member

arm&hammer is infamous around these partsarm&hammer is infamous around these partsarm&hammer is infamous around these partsarm&hammer is infamous around these partsarm&hammer is infamous around these partsarm&hammer is infamous around these partsarm&hammer is infamous around these partsarm&hammer is infamous around these partsarm&hammer is infamous around these partsarm&hammer is infamous around these partsarm&hammer is infamous around these parts

sounds like your coil is fucked. just replace the whole dizzy.
Old 12-12-2012, 06:45 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

First check to make sure that you are getting power to the coil wires in the engine harness. If you have power going to the distributor plug then you should be ok fuse wise.

Now if that checks out then it is most likely the coil or the ignitor. You may not need to replace the complete distributor, but the other sensors in the distributor my have been affected as well (they will not stop it from getting spark to the plugs).
Old 12-12-2012, 07:25 AM
Zerofucksgiven

Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello Cyanide Jello

Originally Posted by PicovAndropov
Must spread rep around...

I like this idea.........and then blast him with piss...

Quick Reply: EG hatch won't start - fried ignition component(s)