Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ef front end

Old 01-05-2008, 02:04 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
invertedintegra invertedintegra invertedintegra invertedintegra
Default ef front end

okay i've read that 90-91 ef front end won't work with my 89 hatch.
i have also read that it's only the difference between crx and hatch.
can someone who has done this please educate me?
do i HAVE to use an 88-89 front end on my car?
thanks in advance,
mike
Old 01-05-2008, 02:16 PM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone
Default Re: ef front end

If you change bumpers from 88-89 to 90-91, or vice versa, you will need to swap the bumper supports as well for mounting purposes.

Also, sedan and hatchback bumpers aren't interchangeable. I learned this the hard way when putting a 91 front bumper on my 89 sedan. I don't think a CRX bumper will fit on a hatchback either, although somebody else on here will know for sure.

Last edited by p-stone; 01-05-2008 at 02:59 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 06:26 PM
Banned

dallasb84 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by p-stone
If you change bumpers from 88-89 to 90-91, or vice versa, you will need to swap the bumper supports as well for mounting purposes.

Also, sedan and hatchback bumpers aren't interchangeable. I learned this the hard way when putting a 91 front bumper on my 89 sedan. I don't think a CRX bumper will fit on a hatchback either, although somebody else on here will know for sure.
i dont agree....

i had a 92 accord front bumber on my da to accept the intercooler. bolted right on.... with a grinder, welder, and drill you can make almost any honda front end bolt on......

btw the accord front bumper on the 92 teg looked great.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:08 PM
Uno Mas

p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone p-stone

Originally Posted by dallasb84
i dont agree....

i had a 92 accord front bumber on my da to accept the intercooler. bolted right on.... with a grinder, welder, and drill you can make almost any honda front end bolt on......
Well, tell me about your experiences with EF front bumpers. The part the OP is asking about.

Last edited by p-stone; 01-05-2008 at 07:11 PM.
Old 01-05-2008, 07:49 PM
Registered Member

invertedintegra invertedintegra invertedintegra invertedintegra

thanx for the info p-stone
Old 01-05-2008, 10:31 PM
Banned

Well, tell me about your experiences with EF front bumpers. The part the OP is asking about.

how fucking hard is it to drill holes, make brackets, shim body panels, at worst change a radiator support, change light buckets, and so on.....

.and as for efs what makes that specific vehicle any different than the other 100 or so models of cars out there that have front ends installed from different cars.....

only thing im not sure about is the actual depth of the bumper in relation to the fender.(from corner light to wheel well).... if this isnt close or the same your going to have to do a full swap pretty much....not worth it in my opinion

your going to need the side ef bumper brackets and plastic slider pieces.

your going to need washers and possibly longer metric fine thread bolts for the bolt locations behind the turn signals. also get some 3/4 long 5/16 sheetmetal screws.

measure the headlights and make sure they will closely match the contour of the new bumper. carefully cut and trim as neccesary.....

(my da was slighty narrower than the accord front bumper. i needed to space the headlights maybe a 16th of an inch. and pull out the fenders slightly to make everything line up).

next take apart your original bumper assembly crash bar and lay it inside the new ef bumper.... trim and cut accordingly to closely fit....your going to have to make a bumper cover fit a different crash bar so its not going to fit at first.... be preparred that none of the attatchent screws are going to line up....dont worry.

mount bar without bumper cover

set the ef cover over the bar...make sure you have the headlights in. get a buddy to help you as the bumper is gonna wanna fall all over the place....

try to get everything lined up as close as possible at this point. you need to get reference marks on the crash bar in as many diffent places as possible (paint pens work great)

take off the bar and set it in the bumper cover line up the marks with the cover and get a few temporary screws in place.

set the assembled bar and cover back in place and loosely bolt it on.... this is tricky as your prolly going to have to use spacers or washers to get it right. this was the most frustrating part for me but a friend helped me out alot.... NFATUATN thanks.

your lights hood and nose of the cover should be very closely aligned...... once you get it right and tight. loosen it back up again and move to the sides.

attach the the plastic slider clips to the bumper. align the cover with the fenders. mark the fender (the area covered by the bumper cover) so you can attach the clip to it. it helps to have the fender chassis bracket unbolted (in the wheel well area, im not talking about in the engine bay) this will let the fender move in and out to accomodate the ef bumper.... attach the plastic slip retainer in the right spot so the ef cover clips work properly.

now your prolly gonna have to make a new bracket or use spacers to keep the fender secure...

now place the turn signals in place......... they prolly wont fit and will be needing to be trimmed.... take off the lens so you dont fuck it up and figure out a way to secure the lights in place.....

last step...... get it painted.

this should take you at least two day to get it right for your first time....
\
hope this helps and give you an idea of whats involved

late
Old 01-05-2008, 10:35 PM
Banned

btw i live in nn and might be able to help you out
Old 01-06-2008, 07:03 AM
Uno Mas

Wow. I don't think the OP wanted to make any different front end fit on his car. He wanted an EF bumper, from a different year, to go on his EF car. Simple bolt-off, bolt-on and all the body lines are still good. He doesn't want to be trimming bumpers, making brackets, and cutting bumper supports.

Sure, you can make just about any bumper from any car fit on another one. The OP didn't ask about that, read the question he asked.
Old 01-06-2008, 08:14 AM
Banned

i was just telling him i didnt agree with you in a short version the short version.

now im answering you.

but its not really a swap to mount the bumper.... just alot of work...

i did it cuz i liked the accords bumper better and it didnt make my bottom lip bow out like most all the other fmic da's out there.... cleaned it up nice.

aside from the painting part. add 5 minutes to most of the steps i pointed out and you might have it done.... is it really that unpractical???