Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ef civic wont start

Old 05-20-2014, 01:32 PM
GOON SQUAD.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish
Default ef civic wont start

alight, so the car wouldnt start ( went click when i turned the key on) so i figured battery was dead. grabbed the charger and still click. so i bought a new battery. still no start. checked the connections at the starter and its getting 12 volts to it. bought a new starter and put that on and guess what ?? CLICK . with the multimeter on the starter, when i turn the key the voltage falls all the way to 2 - 3 volts ... idk if it should drop this far or not. but after a while of messing around with the car i hooked up another battery and the charger on start mode DIRECTLY to the starter to finally get it to start. and it cranked for quite some time before it fired. the motor isnt locked up and it ran fine the entire drive home. now here is the kicker for all of this. the cars harness was "tucked" buy PO. when i got the car it had an LS in it.. i took it out and put a d15b2 back in so the car has been converted to mpfi and then back to dpfi. the harness is pretty hacked up essentially and im at a loss here. any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 05-20-2014, 02:14 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: ef civic wont start

Sounds like you're missing a ground or have a really bad power or ground connection. The severe voltage drop is the telltale. Its going to be something in the high current path between the starter and battery, or the ground return for that high current path.
Old 05-20-2014, 04:17 PM
GOON SQUAD.

Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish Ayobish

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
Sounds like you're missing a ground or have a really bad power or ground connection. The severe voltage drop is the telltale. Its going to be something in the high current path between the starter and battery, or the ground return for that high current path.

I thought I had checked them all but the one that connects to the valve cover apparently had a stripped hole so i moved it and it fired right up. thanks man you always help me out lol
Old 05-20-2014, 05:11 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Good deal, glad you got it figured out.