Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Ecu questions and vtec???

Old 02-06-2006, 02:05 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DOHC crx VTEC is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Ecu questions and vtec???

What are the obd-0 ecu's with these following ecu codes used in/for?

P06
and
Ps9

and

Does your temp guage have to work for vtec to engage, o2 sensor wired up on a obd-0 car?

Ive got a b16 obd-0 in my 89 hf crx...and vtec is wired up..but not hitting vtec at all
Old 02-06-2006, 02:54 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: Ecu questions and vtec???

There are a few conditions, yes.
It's been a while, but I think the engine has to be warmed up. Did you wire up the vtec pressure switch or just the vtec solenoid? If there are other faults in the engine, vtec may or may not engage also (depending on the cause).

By the way, if you're using a P06, vtec won't engage. It's not a vtec ECU. It's also not a OBD0 ECU, it's OBD1. It's actually the same as P28 ECU but without the vtec parts, so it can be converted if you can get the parts. I used to know where to get them, but I don't remember.

The PS9 is a auto tranny version of the Civ/CRX Si PM6 ECUs. I can convert PM6s to have a vtec output, but I don't know about the PS9 because I've never touched one before. Supposedly they're the same as the PM6s though.

I'm quick, I just got your PM.. lol
Old 02-06-2006, 02:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
There are a few conditions, yes.
It's been a while, but I think the engine has to be warmed up. Did you wire up the vtec pressure switch or just the vtec solenoid? If there are other faults in the engine, vtec may or may not engage also (depending on the cause).

By the way, if you're using a P06, vtec won't engage. It's not a vtec ECU. It's also not a OBD0 ECU, it's OBD1. It's actually the same as P28 ECU but without the vtec parts, so it can be converted if you can get the parts. I used to know where to get them, but I don't remember.

The PS9 is a auto tranny version of the Civ/CRX Si PM6 ECUs. I can convert PM6s to have a vtec output, but I don't know about the PS9 because I've never touched one before. Supposedly they're the same as the PM6s though.

I'm quick, I just got your PM.. lol
Lol

the questions about the ecus were for my friend..hes running a ps9 on his right now and neither him or I knew what a P06 was..

Im running a Pr3 obd-0 ecu on my b16 crx right now.. from the pinouts and schematics i had it looks like all the wires are wired up..so maybe my guage cluster is the problem? MY friends b16a EF hits vtec when its cold but i know its not good for it since the oil is thicker. But This Vtec thing in my crx is stumbling me. I'm running out of answers and solutions. I guess I'll just have to pay some one to re-wire...trouble shoot it for me
Old 02-06-2006, 03:03 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Any check engine lights? Have you checked that the pressure switch works, etc? Your temp gauge doesn't have to work, but your temp sensor sure does. That could be different on OBD0 though, the OBD1 and OBD2 stuff is a little more picky about what engine conditions it wants to see before it will allow vtec to engage
Old 02-06-2006, 03:07 PM
Banned

Any check engine lights? Have you checked that the pressure switch works, etc? Your temp gauge doesn't have to work, but your temp sensor sure does.

See,

I recently Just got this car. It was a Wiring Catastrophe upon buying it. The shop that wired it...Well didnt do too good of a job. How do you know if the pressure switch is working or not? I've heard of being able to wire up vtec through a toggle switch. Will that work? To it's normal operation? I am just puzzled over this it has gotten me frustrated. I'm not really an expert on all this wiring but if i have schematics i can do alright but still hesitant..need second opinions. Oh and none of the lights on the guage cluster come on..only the speedo works and the cluster light for night time...but there are no check engine lights on the ecu
Old 02-06-2006, 03:16 PM
Racetracks

Argh, sorry to hear about your wiring nightmare. I'd take it to someone who can sort out the mess, I'm sure someone on here will help you. Make sure that the pinout is correct on your ECU connectors also, the PR3 pinout is not the same as the pinout for the HF ECU that came in the car. I don't play with OBD0 stuff really so I can't help you much. I'm guessing you have a bad connection somewhere or that something just isn't complete all the way.
People like to drop another engine in and then butcher the wiring really bad, I've seen it so many times. I'm an electronics technician and it makes me sad to see people ruin a perfectly good harness when they don't know what they're doing.
Old 02-06-2006, 03:22 PM
Banned

Yeah

I have never seen such a wiring mess! It looks like a drunk spider made a web out of wiring its not THAT bad really but it is kinda messy. And the guy paid 3500 for it to be done (swap included) and its still wrong...

Any one willing to help me out?

When my tax returns come in I can give you cash......

no outrageous prices though! please

Thank you Fabrik8 for all of your help man
Old 02-06-2006, 04:41 PM
Racetracks

I live in Colorado now... =)
Old 02-06-2006, 05:01 PM
Banned

I live in Colorado now... =)

You know you wanna move back to Virginia to help a brotha out. And see all your homies! psh who needs colorado? Haha I wish i met you in person man you seem like a cool dude...and everyone says you are pretty smart! and you seem really Knowledgeable.
Old 02-06-2006, 05:25 PM
Registered Member

KYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud ofKYLE ROSE has much to be proud of

Could be a few things. Try cleaning out the vtec sol sometimes the screen gets shavings in it and vtec wont engage. The speedo must work for vtec to engage also. I can also send you the pinouts for the pr3 if you would like. Good luck.

Quick Reply: Ecu questions and vtec???