Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ecu question

Old 05-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
90whiteda has disabled reputation
Default ecu question

I heard somewhere that a sohc ecu was better to run with ls/vtec then a dohc ecu i was just tryin to find out if it was true or not
Old 05-29-2006, 03:21 PM
Registered Member

Ross is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ecu question

if you are going to chip it then it does not matter. I It will just make the wiring easier to do because you do not having to run a knock sensor wire. I would not run a single cam ECU on LS/Vtec unless it was chipped though. The fuel and ignition table need to be adjusted in the single cam ecu to work properly on dual cam.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:53 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

Edit:
I misread, everyone can settle down now..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 05-29-2006 at 04:34 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

What kind of a retard would say that?
Old 05-29-2006, 03:56 PM
Registered Member

sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue sohc_mshue

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The correct ECU is the LS ECU. Don't use a vtec ECU. People who mix and match ECUs on engines they weren't designed to run should be kicked in the nuts. After all, why handicap yourself with the wrong tuning?
Why the hell would you run a non vtec ecu with a lsvtec setup? For one you need to engage vtec, two lsvtec needs more revs than the ls ecu will do, and three it needs fuel and timing maps that are more similar to a regular vtec engine. Its basically the same as running a gsr motor with a longer stroke.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:12 PM
Registered Member

I understand you can add vtec to the ls ecu but you will still be using maping from ither a p30 or p72. I have had no problems with using diffrent ECU's. As long as they were tuned for the setup they were being used on, it works fine. Why do you have such a problem with using difrent ecu's? I am not trying to be an ass here, just curious.

Last edited by Ross; 05-29-2006 at 04:26 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:12 PM
import mechanic

sucio7 has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by sohc_mshue
Why the hell would you run a non vtec ecu with a lsvtec setup? For one you need to engage vtec, two lsvtec needs more revs than the ls ecu will do, and three it needs fuel and timing maps that are more similar to a regular vtec engine. Its basically the same as running a gsr motor with a longer stroke.
x1
Old 05-29-2006, 04:23 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

whoops, I didn't see the "vtec" on the end of LS/vtec, sorry.
Let me start over. I'm assuming you're going to chip the ECU, in which case there is no difference between them. The P28 (SOHC) ECU is identical to the P30 (DOHC) ECU, but is missing the knock sensor board. Obviously the stock program is different, which doesn't matter after the ECU is chipped. The P72 (GSR DOHC) ECU will also work, and has a knock sensor also. The main reason people use the P28 ECUs is that they are cheaper and a lot more available than the DOHC ECUs, and you're not usually going to have a knock sensor with a LSvtec swap, so the lack of knock board is moot.

My comment about mixing and matching was regarding non-chipped ECUs, I figured PrecisionAuto had already covered the chipping part. But then I didn't read carefully enough, so it was alittle out of context.

And thanks for the retard comment, I've chipped (and modified) hundreds of Honda ECUs so I'm not stupid. Ask around if you're still in doubt. I'm a professional electronics technician and work for an ECU manufacturer, so fuck off if you're going to start shit talking. I don't care.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 05-29-2006 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-29-2006, 04:26 PM
Registered Member

Then what you were saying makes more sense now.
Old 05-29-2006, 07:34 PM
Registered Member

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
whoops, I didn't see the "vtec" on the end of LS/vtec, sorry.
Let me start over. I'm assuming you're going to chip the ECU, in which case there is no difference between them. The P28 (SOHC) ECU is identical to the P30 (DOHC) ECU, but is missing the knock sensor board. Obviously the stock program is different, which doesn't matter after the ECU is chipped. The P72 (GSR DOHC) ECU will also work, and has a knock sensor also. The main reason people use the P28 ECUs is that they are cheaper and a lot more available than the DOHC ECUs, and you're not usually going to have a knock sensor with a LSvtec swap, so the lack of knock board is moot.

My comment about mixing and matching was regarding non-chipped ECUs, I figured PrecisionAuto had already covered the chipping part. But then I didn't read carefully enough, so it was alittle out of context.

And thanks for the retard comment, I've chipped (and modified) hundreds of Honda ECUs so I'm not stupid. Ask around if you're still in doubt. I'm a professional electronics technician and work for an ECU manufacturer, so fuck off if you're going to start shit talking. I don't care.
I didn't call you a retard. I said whoever said a sohc ecu would be best is a retard.