VADriven.com Forums

VADriven.com Forums (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/)
-   Tech Talk (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/)
-   -   ECU and immobilizer issue with gsr (https://www.vadriven.com/forums/tech-talk-9/ecu-immobilizer-issue-gsr-398576/)

IRR0MPIBLE 05-28-2011 06:56 PM

ECU and immobilizer issue with gsr

I just picked up a 2000 gsr. It's running a p73 ITR ecu. I wouldn't mind this, but it's causing the car to throw a code stating that "bank 2 is too rich" or something of that nature. It is definitely running rich, as there is fuel on the rear bumper and license plate. It's also getting horrible gas mileage. My problem is that apparently obd2b ecu's have immobilizers, thus just getting a p72 and switching it in, will render the car unable to start. The previous owner already went through this scenario. I'm kind of baffled, though, because I don't see how the ITR ecu, which obviously did not come in the car originally, allows the car to start. Basically what I need to figure out, is how to get a p72 in the car and still have the car start. I have already purchased an ecu, which is on it's way to me. If I can't find somewhere that can make it work, could I get an obd1 p72 and use a jumper harness? I would rather make the obd2 one work, as I have already purchased it at this point.
Any help is appreciated.

Fabrik8 05-28-2011 07:51 PM

Re: ECU and immobilizer issue with gsr

I don't get what you're saying. The P73 has an immobilizer, so why would using a P72 without an immobilizer cause the engine to not start? Or are you trying to use an OBD2 P72 which also has an immobilizer but won't match the immobilizer code for the car?

IRR0MPIBLE 05-28-2011 08:03 PM

Yes, I'm trying to (and the previous owner tried to) use an obd2b p72 with an immobilizer which doesn't match. I still don't know how it's possible that the p73 that the car is running on matches the key to the car, as it isn't and never was an ITR. All a part of the fun in buying a used car, I guess.
From what I can tell thus far, my options are to find a way to remove the immobilizer from the p72 and have a permanent cel, or get an obd1 p72 and a jumper harness?

JustaGSR18 05-30-2011 07:36 AM

use a obd1 or obd2a ecu with a jumper and the car will run.. if you try to use another obd2b ecu you will have to have the dealer reflash the key code

IRR0MPIBLE 05-30-2011 04:26 PM

I figured there had to be some way that a dealer could make the obd2b work. My next question is, what do you have to go through to get them to do it?

JustaGSR18 06-01-2011 07:00 AM

just call them up tell them your issue and see what they can do...

GreySquirrel 06-01-2011 08:07 AM

edit: Saw that what I posted was already in the thread.

What you need to do is take the car with the new ecu installed to the dealership, then have them learn the key to the new ecu.

Fabrik8 06-01-2011 08:09 AM

Yes, there is an immobilizer board in the ECU.

IRR0MPIBLE 06-02-2011 06:27 PM

Well, calling dealers with this issue gets you nowhere, in my experience with the 2 I called today. Those being Hall Acura VB, and Hall Honda E City.
Neither of them seemed to understand what I was asking them to do, or they just didn't want to touch it. Luckily, the one and only Scott Camp came through and got it done for me with no trouble in E City. Called Acura with the vin, got the pcm (don't know what that is), and then programmed the key, no problem. Sad that I went through the Parts Manager and got it done, but service was clueless. I guess it's good to know people.

Fabrik8 06-02-2011 07:06 PM

So you've tried it out and it works?