Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

which ecu is better

Old 10-08-2007, 09:42 PM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
slowrex is infamous around these partsslowrex is infamous around these partsslowrex is infamous around these partsslowrex is infamous around these partsslowrex is infamous around these partsslowrex is infamous around these partsslowrex is infamous around these partsslowrex is infamous around these partsslowrex is infamous around these partsslowrex is infamous around these partsslowrex is infamous around these parts
Default which ecu is better

i have a single cam vtec swap in my ef all converted to obd1 it has a p08 in it know is a p28 better. i just wanna know which one is better to use.
Old 10-09-2007, 06:44 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: which ecu is better

The P08 is the JDM version of the P28, and there are small differences in mapping for the different country. Either ECU will work fine for a SOHC VTEC swap. If you have a P08, use it; it can be chipped the same way as a JDM P30, the parts are just a different size than the USDM. If I remember, the P08 is the same ECU as the (JDM) P30 but without the knock sensor board. There is no need to get a P28, you already have it's JDM twin. It's actually identical inside, the parts are just smaller (surface mouton parts instead of through hole) which is the difference between the JDM and USDM P30s...

So now you know..

Last edited by Fabrik8; 10-09-2007 at 06:46 AM.
Old 10-09-2007, 07:30 AM
Banned

Jakers is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Fabrik8
The P08 is the JDM version of the P28, and there are small differences in mapping for the different country. Either ECU will work fine for a SOHC VTEC swap. If you have a P08, use it; it can be chipped the same way as a JDM P30, the parts are just a different size than the USDM. If I remember, the P08 is the same ECU as the (JDM) P30 but without the knock sensor board. There is no need to get a P28, you already have it's JDM twin. It's actually identical inside, the parts are just smaller (surface mouton parts instead of through hole) which is the difference between the JDM and USDM P30s...

So now you know..
thats some good info, so can u chip it the same or how would you do that?
Old 10-09-2007, 04:55 PM
Registered Member

kingofboost kingofboost kingofboost kingofboost kingofboost kingofboost

i like the p28
Old 10-10-2007, 07:22 AM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The same things have to be done to chip the small-case JDM ECUs as the big-case USDM ECUs, but all of the parts (except the chip socket) are a smaller package for the JDM. It's like a Reeses mini cup or a snack size cup, they're the same thing but one's smaller than the other. Because of the difference in part size, they're a little more tricky to do for someone with average soldering skills. I'm a professional circuit board technician so it's cake for me (I've moved out of area though). Anyway, there should be some people in the area there (think shops) that can do that for you without a problem. If they can't, they need to get some skills.