Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

ECU for a b16a2 swap

Old 05-11-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Xchekker88 has disabled reputation
Default ECU for a b16a2 swap

I'm a total newby getting ready to do my first engine swap and need some advice. I've searched the forums for this subject and haven't been able to find the answer previously posted, even though I'm sure it's been discussed.

I've got a 2000 Civic Si b16a2 engine/trans that I'm going to swap into a '94 hatch. I should have everything I need except the ECU. I know the engine is OBD2b and I've researched as much as I can but I can't find out what ECU I should use and what harness I will need to connect to the ecu.

I know the engine is OBD2b. I've read that I should use a P28 ECU that has been modified so I can adjust the fuel mapping for the future turbo I want to install. On ebay there are sellers who take P06 ECU's and convert them to run VTEC engines. Are there any problems using an ECU like that for my swap?
Old 05-11-2011, 11:03 AM
Boost is Better

sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx sircrx
Default Re: ECU for a b16a2 swap

no there wouldn't be any problems running the p06 ecu. The p28 is just the most widely used ecu to chip and program because it already has vtec and everything working for you. Now a days it doesn't even really matter if you get an auto or manual ecu as they can convert them now. It would cost less to chip the p28's than the p06 though as like I said you wouldn't have to convert vtec and all.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:05 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

The P06, P28, and P30 are all the exact same circuit board.. The P30 has all of the available features, the P28 is missing the knock sensor board, and the P06 is missing the knock sensor board and the VTEC components. That's why it's so easy to convert a P06 to a P28, the missing components are just added to the circuit board and a P28 chip is used.. So you can use a converted P06, or a P28, or a P30, but the P06 and P28 will need to be chipped to use the correct program or be able to be tuned. The P30 is from the OBD1 B16 cars, and can be run completely unmodified if you're using a stock B16 (a modified B16 will still need ECU tuning obviously).

If you're shopping for an ECU, you can also get the automatic transmission version of any of those three ECUs if you come across one for cheap. They can all be easily converted to manual transmission during the chipping process.

Last edited by Fabrik8; 05-11-2011 at 03:09 PM.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:27 PM
certified asshole

crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi crasy87rexsi

If your hatch was an si then you should be good to use any vtec obd1 engine harness(integra included, I do believe obd2 harnesses are the same but don't take my word, I can't remember for sure). If it didn't have vtec from the factory then you will obviously need to wire that in. Depending on which distributor plug the distributor has you can either wire in the correct plug to fit whichever engine harness you use or use a conversion harness or it will be the same. Since fabrik already went over ecu's there you go, me personally I would try to get a P30 or have one chipped with a P30 map since they run great with it, also a knock sensor is more useful than a hassle then most people think.

P.S. with the obd2 engine harnesses because of the extra emmisions BS I would just get a obd1 vtec harness or non vtec and just wire vtec in.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:54 AM
Registered member

wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright wright

Originally Posted by crasy87rexsi
If your hatch was an si then you should be good to use any vtec obd1 engine harness(integra included, I do believe obd2 harnesses are the same but don't take my word, I can't remember for sure). If it didn't have vtec from the factory then you will obviously need to wire that in. Depending on which distributor plug the distributor has you can either wire in the correct plug to fit whichever engine harness you use or use a conversion harness or it will be the same. Since fabrik already went over ecu's there you go, me personally I would try to get a P30 or have one chipped with a P30 map since they run great with it, also a knock sensor is more useful than a hassle then most people think.

P.S. with the obd2 engine harnesses because of the extra emmisions BS I would just get a obd1 vtec harness or non vtec and just wire vtec in.

He could use a OBD2 integra harness not the civic harness since it is a one piece harness. OP If you have the stock harness that came in your civic just use that and add in the vtec wires, ect. Like others have said get a OBD1 ecu and take it to someone that can chip it.
Old 05-12-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered Member

backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms backtoarms

P30 ECU.