Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

E30 Idle problems

Old 08-02-2013, 02:18 PM
With No Moar Honda

ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen
Default E30 Idle problems

Make: BMW
Model: 325E
Year: 84
Engine/Modifications in relation to the issue: Stock motor
Issues/Questions: I bought an E30 that had sat for 3 years. At first it didn't start but I got it starting. Now I'm having trouble getting it to hold an idle at all. I get it turned over and to keep the idle I have to keep giving it gas. Also if I floor it, it won't go above 2k RPM's.
Failed solutions until now: I already changed the transfer pump and the main relay. That's what was inhibiting it from starting. I have an extra main fuel pump laying around that I may change out anyway just to rule it out. Any other ideas?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:14 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8
Default Re: E30 Idle problems

Fresh gas and a fuel filter?
Old 08-02-2013, 03:16 PM
With No Moar Honda

ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen ispoonwithmugen

Fresh gas and a fuel filter have been put in.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:17 PM
Registered member

yahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these partsyahh is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by Fabrik8 View Post
Fresh gas and a fuel filter?
This with new spark plugs and wires. Also check the intake boot for cracks as well as all the hoses. They're notorious for cracking and these motors are extremely sensitive to air leaks. I would also clean up the ICV to make sure it's working correctly.
Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 PM
Racetracks

Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8 Fabrik8

This is probably obvious already, but the problem is whatever is causing it to not rev above 2k RPM. The idle is just a symptom of that problem.
Old 08-02-2013, 04:45 PM
With No Moar Honda

New spark plugs were put in and the intake boot was replaced. I haven't changed the wires. How would I check that? Same with the ICV (Is that what is attached to the intake)? And roger that Fabrik8.
Old 08-04-2013, 08:42 AM
With No Moar Honda

Okay so I have it "narrowed" down to these:
Vacuum leak
Clogged injectors or bad wiring
Idle air stabilizer valve (hoses as well)
Coolant temp switch and sensor
Large intake air duct
Small hose between intake manifold and pressure regulator
O ring on injectors
Ignition and distributor cap
Grounds
02 sensor? I was thinking I could rule that out since it won't kick in till the car is at normal temps.

Any thoughts on these? Can I eliminate anything or should I include some other things?