Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

(DSM) Possible Hydro-lock, now blown headgasket

Old 06-09-2008, 03:22 PM
r0tard

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Verbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these parts
Default (DSM) Possible Hydro-lock, now blown headgasket

So weekend before last I went to NoVa, while sitting a a stop sign in about 8 inches of water, a bus goes by in front of me and covers me in water......No worries and i start to go and the car stalls.

Not really thinking i crank it over and it won't start, sounds like it has jumped time. After several tries it fires slowly but is tapping and has no power. I get it back to my fathers and check timing, all is good. Pull my plugs, clean.. So i let it set and dry out. Go back up this weekend, start it up and after idling for about 5 minutes, with the horrible tap....the radiator hose explodes. I shut it down and kicked the fucker.

The damn thing was fine until the bus soaked me...i wouldn't have thought i had sucked in enough water to do any damage, although i was riding the clutch to get out in a hurry.
Old 06-09-2008, 03:31 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of
Default Re: (DSM) Possible Hydro-lock, now blown headgasket

8 inches of water? your front bumper was in the water? If it weren't for the tap I'd say you just killed the MAF. But more than likely the tap is just noise you don't normally here due to a higher normal idle. Try a different MAF.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:28 PM
r0tard

Verbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these partsVerbal is infamous around these parts

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
8 inches of water? your front bumper was in the water? If it weren't for the tap I'd say you just killed the MAF. But more than likely the tap is just noise you don't normally here due to a higher normal idle. Try a different MAF.

It's a very loud tap...not something i wouldn't have noticed. The car will barely move under it's own power, yet it still builds boost fine. This is why i thought it jumped time, it sounded like valves hitting.

I then figured it popped the head gasket and that is why the upper radiator hose decided to explode after throttling (is that even a word) it a few times.

The end of my father's road always puddles (small pond) after a quick, hard rain. It may have been deeper with the down pour we had that evening.
Old 06-09-2008, 05:47 PM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

dang 8" of water, I wish it would rain here
Old 06-09-2008, 06:07 PM
r0tard

Originally Posted by Hybrid AWD
dang 8" of water, I wish it would rain here

No kidding, i go up there and they get about 2 hours of straight down pour (doesn't help it's a low shoulder with a shit drain, at the bottom of a slope) All the water puddles there....always has....i knew better.

Any thoughts...worth saving? The motor was just put together. (nearly 2k ago)
Old 06-10-2008, 03:06 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

with a stock style intake I'd think it'd be hard to hydrolock. I've sucked the water off wet ground with a CAI and killed a MAF before but to hydrolock a turbo car you'd pretty much have to suck in straight solid water at low throttle such that the water is not vaporized by the charge. Odds of that happening are pretty damn slim but I guess not impossible. Rad hose would explode due to boost entering the coolant passage. If you truly hydrolocked the motor then the noise you are hearing is probably due to a slightly bent rod. Easy fix if there's no block damage.
Old 06-10-2008, 04:17 AM
Registered Member

toyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the roughtoyota_aristo is a jewel in the rough

What car is this? This isn't a rotary, is it? Maybe you got your spark plug wires wet and one of them is shorted. Is everything completely dried out? Good luck.
Old 06-10-2008, 02:27 PM
r0tard

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
with a stock style intake I'd think it'd be hard to hydrolock. I've sucked the water off wet ground with a CAI and killed a MAF before but to hydrolock a turbo car you'd pretty much have to suck in straight solid water at low throttle such that the water is not vaporized by the charge. Odds of that happening are pretty damn slim but I guess not impossible. Rad hose would explode due to boost entering the coolant passage. If you truly hydrolocked the motor then the noise you are hearing is probably due to a slightly bent rod. Easy fix if there's no block damage.
I figured i sucked in enough to pop the composite gasket (MLS not available, i was anxious ) and bent a valve. The tap was in the head, it was a fast tap...

This is why i guess it blew the hose...

Originally Posted by toyota_aristo
What car is this? This isn't a rotary, is it? Maybe you got your spark plug wires wet and one of them is shorted. Is everything completely dried out? Good luck.
It was my DSM, like the title says. In this heat and sitting for a week, everything should've been dry