Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

DSM HELP

Old 04-27-2009, 05:03 AM
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
minnis4g6 has disabled reputation
Default DSM HELP

hey guys i am new to the dsm thing. i have a 97 tdi with a 95 motor swap the motor is bored .020 over forged pistons, h beam rods, shaved head, stage 3 springs and retainers, BC stage 3 cams, 850cc injectors, toda timing belt balance shaft delete kit, underdrive pulley, 20g turbo (which i did to stay true to the dsm roots) 255 in the tank upgraded fuel rail, tubular exhaust manifold, custom intake manifold, OBX-R sidemount intercooler (sneeky) S-max intake cooler, and fuel cooler. custom mandrel bent hard pipes for side mount. cry o2 system, water methanol injecton kit, DSMchips.com custom tune for both 93 and 110 octane super afc, stage 3 clutch and drive shaft shop axles.... i live no where clost to a dyno to even see what kond of hp i am making does anyone have a close estimate?? what else shoujld i get or do to my car???? i tried to follow the ams talon build spec and it made 638hp. but what should I do to get my car fine tuned for the track???? any help would be greatly appreciated PLEASE help wit hp numbers all i know is that even in 4th it gets cocky
Old 04-27-2009, 07:16 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD
Default Re: DSM HELP

ok so first off, you gotta work on your sentence structure, it's killing me to read this. Also use spell check if needed, there is no such thing as a DSM with a TDI motor unless you got it from a VW.

Secondly where are you located for us to recommend dyno's? Also, is your car AWD or FWD?

You're not gonna make 638hp or even close to that with your setup. I'd say maybe 410 fwhp....maybe. That is with fine tuning the car as well.
Old 04-28-2009, 05:07 AM
Registered Member

sorry about that my son did the typing as i talked. it is a tsi fwd and i beloeve that the turbo is whats holding me back, the motor is strong but it needs more boost, in my personal opinoin, i am in Big island va. close to lynchburg
Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 AM
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

How much boost are you running? Whats your Fuel pressure set at? And those 850cc injectors aren't going to make alot of power Might want to sell or trade for some 1000cc injectors IMO.

I think you should ditch the safc & chip and pick up dsmlink software, but thats up to you. I can see being able to tune better using dsmlink than the setup you have currently.

That Sidemount IC is killing you badly also, upgrade to a Front mount setup min. 33x12x3 core short route piping
Old 04-28-2009, 11:07 AM
Registered Member

Unhappy Re: DSM HELP

right now it is set at 2.3 bar on the boost guage and at 14.7 being one bar thats almost 30 right? i am not sure of the actual psi. And yes the dsm link would have been better using hindsight i really wanted the aem standalone but toward the end of the build money got tight. LOL the tune is only a base map that is set up for race gas mixture so it is only a good ballpark tune. i was thinking that the cry o2 system would help that side mount but like you say its not really ment for that!!! but the setup i have would it be a strong street car? it has hella torque i guess because of the smaller turbo but at about 6000 it seems to hold back..... I heard that it was hard to tune for much over 950cc injectors thats why i step down. But i believe i got the right internals cam and intake exhaust set up but the finer points i missed....
Old 04-29-2009, 03:51 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

If I had to guess, I'd say 330whp max.

When you throw together a bunch of parts that don't work properly together you'd be surprised how much power it doesn't make.

I seriously hope you're not running 2.3 Bar on 93 octane.
Old 05-01-2009, 12:29 AM
I <3 My DSM

SPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud ofSPAWN has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by minnis4g6
i am not sure of the actual psi.
wait...what? please tell me you have the gauges to read that?? and IMO, the 20g should be PLENTY enough to get some great times and numbers, but as stated above, tuning and what seems to almost be a cluster f@#$ of parts doesnt mean anything...still sounds like a beast setup , or could be...oh, and ditch the SAFC and get DSM Link or someting of the likes.... on inital start though... and as far as being a good street car, a 4g63 with VERY minor mods is a great street car against the majority of whats out there...

Last edited by SPAWN; 05-01-2009 at 12:31 AM.
Old 05-01-2009, 03:45 AM
MAGICAL FRIENDSHIP

streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp streetlamp

Man you wasted a lot of money, no offense. You could have stayed with a stock motor, maybe a 6 bolt swap and used the money towards a better setup. If you really want over 600whp then you will quickly be disappointed with the 20g. What AMS talon used a 20g besides maybe like a decade ago?