Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

DSM GUYS!! help?

Old 02-29-2008, 06:36 AM
Zombies found Waldo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie
Default DSM GUYS!! help?

Hey guys, I bought another 92 laser AWD (YAY!! BOUT TIME!). When driving at above 20 MPH it sounds like I blew out a rear tires when I push in the clutch it feels like I am applying breaks and when I go around corners the wheels try to lock up. (if he turns left the rear left tire if right the rear right tire) I put the car up on jack and put it in first second and third and let it get up to 30MPH and nothing. no sounds it was a little rough inside the car but i think that could have been due to the car not being 100% even. Any thoughts?

PS i have a 3 bolt rear end replacement but i dont have the cups so i cant put it in. can I switch over internals?
Old 02-29-2008, 06:41 PM
Registered Member

krazdracer has disabled reputation
Default Re: DSM GUYS!! help?

clutch binding up???? input shaft alignment issue???
thats the only thing thing areoiund the clutch that i can think of.(New Clutch?)
when you push in he clutch is there a rattle??
Old 03-02-2008, 12:02 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

you wouldn't want to put a 3 bolt in it and 4 bolt failure is very rare. It sounds to me like you have a blown differential trying to lock up,
Old 03-02-2008, 01:08 AM
CPL Us Army

jpick_aap_cpp has disabled reputation

i agree with dave reading it real quick and not being able to look at the car to me... sounds like differential is gone or going bad (ie lockin up)
Old 03-03-2008, 04:13 AM
Zombies found Waldo

buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie buugiewuugie

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
you wouldn't want to put a 3 bolt in it and 4 bolt failure is very rare. It sounds to me like you have a blown differential trying to lock up,
Yeah thats what I thought. But the only differential I can find is a 3 bolt.
Old 03-03-2008, 12:48 PM
Team Doughboy

MuffinMan7580 is on a distinguished road

I agree with dave, check lube in the rear for metal flakes. If none in there, check the tranny for the same.
Old 03-04-2008, 01:27 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
Yeah thats what I thought. But the only differential I can find is a 3 bolt.
It would be your front or center, not the rear. Sounds to me like center. Previous owner probably destroyed it with incorrect launch technique.
Old 03-04-2008, 05:14 AM
Zombies found Waldo

transfer case?

is there anyway to check that? just the fluid? The rear differential had some graininess in the fluid but nothing that really raises an eyebrow.

PS. Is the transfer case the same on all 90-94 manual AWD's or did they change as well?

Last edited by buugiewuugie; 03-04-2008 at 05:17 AM.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:07 AM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

Originally Posted by buugiewuugie
transfer case?

is there anyway to check that? just the fluid? The rear differential had some graininess in the fluid but nothing that really raises an eyebrow.

PS. Is the transfer case the same on all 90-94 manual AWD's or did they change as well?
center diff is in the trans. The transfer case is just a set of gears and a shaft, it's not a differential. and 90s are different.
Old 03-04-2008, 11:59 AM
Zombies found Waldo

Originally Posted by HighPSI TSi Guy
center diff is in the trans. The transfer case is just a set of gears and a shaft, it's not a differential. and 90s are different.
im confused.. its in the transmission or in the transfer case?

Quick Reply: DSM GUYS!! help?