Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

DSM ECU SWAP! I NEED HELP!

Old 04-05-2004, 07:23 PM
TRBO-ESI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
iatotofts has disabled reputation
Default DSM ECU SWAP! I NEED HELP!

I am boostin my stock ESI Talon with at TSI turbo kit/system and I have everything I mean everything, and I want to throw the TSI ECU in to my ESI and I was wondering if I would have to make any changes because of different harnesses or if the two were interchangable. I NEED YOUR HELP!!!
Thanks
Old 04-05-2004, 07:58 PM
Patron

crx si 2004 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: DSM ECU SWAP! I NEED HELP!

someone help this black guy out
Old 04-05-2004, 08:34 PM
Big Dick Playa

King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling

im assuming its a 1g from all the info. or lack there of. and i dont know if the ecu's are the same and are interchangable. but you could always try www.vfaq.com
Old 04-05-2004, 08:36 PM
Big Dick Playa

King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling

btw. i myself was going to do the same swap and then just bought a turbo car and sold the 1g awd turbo donor car.......... thought you might want to read this.........Has anybody ever converted a non-turbo [DSM] to a turbo [DSM]?
What is required to convert a non-turbo [DSM] to a turbo [DSM]?
Has anybody ever converted a 1.8L NT to a 2.0L NT?
Most people who research this topic come to the conclusion that it is cheaper to sell the NT and purchase a turbocharged DSM, rather than attempt to convert the NT to turbocharged form. Read all about it here and here. It has been pointed out that the difference between a turbo FWD and a non-turbo FWD 1G DSM was roughly $1000 in 1998 - suffice it to say that the conversion will be significantly more than that, regardless of the method chosen.

Weapon*R has a bolt-on turbo kit for NT 2G DSMs. The cost was $4500 last time anybody bothered to price it. At one time, Extreme Motorsports offered a similar kit that ran for only $3500, and included a 14B turbo, BOV, fuel pump, sidemount intercooler, exhaust manifold, downpipe, MBC and boost gauge in one bolt-on kit. More recently, Hahn Racecraft has taken up the challenge with their bolt-on 2G kits costing between $2500 and $3500. Note that these kits will not make your NT into a factory-turbo DSM; since the compression ratios are still different, the boost ranges are greatly restricted compared to OEM turbo engines.

Some people have had better luck converting 1.8L DSMs to 2.0L (non-turbo) engines. Apparantly these engines are rather similar, and since there are no turbo/non-turbo issues the conversion is fairly easy - 'fairly' being of course a very subjective term. At the very least, the head and camshafts will need to be changed from SOHC to DOHC.

Note that the above details only change a non-turbo to a non-turbo. A 1.8L to turbo conversion is likely to be at least as difficult as a 2.0 NT to turbo conversion, if not more so, since most of the above changes would have to be made prior to starting the turbo conversion.

Some owners might think that performing an engine "swap" rather than a "conversion" would make things easier. This is not so. The engine control units (ECUs) for the NT and T engines are different, as are the engine/ECU wiring harnesses. Therefore, to properly swap in a turbo engine into a non-turbo chassis, the ECU and wiring harness must be replaced with the turbo versions.

Additionally, an engine swap by itself is no trivial task, especially if the replacement engine requires work prior to installation. The FWD and AWD flywheels are different, and there may be other differences that prevent a turbo motor from matching up to a non-turbo chassis or driveline. While it is theoretically possible, most people would not find it worth the effort.

Owners of 'converted' non-turbos may find the insurance to be less than a factory turbo car. This is not a guarantee, however, especially if the insurance company learns about the conversion.

Those seriously interested in this conversion will find the article "Do It Yourself Turbocharging" from Overboost.com to be an interesting read.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:49 PM
SC Pimp

Spyderman9803 is an unknown quantity at this point

I converted a 98' Spyder(2.4L) to a DOHC and Boosted it at the same time....Only problems I encountered with the whole rebuild was transmission not being strong enough. I need to send it off to be worked on one day.
Old 04-05-2004, 09:22 PM
❒Good ❒ Better ✔Best

HighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud ofHighPSI TSi Guy has much to be proud of

there's a few wires different... off the top of my head i don't know.. i know the turbo MAF has one more wire though. there's a big thread on either tuners or talk on this subject
Old 04-06-2004, 01:20 AM
Rotatin'

SBMotors has disabled reputation

I've done this swap before in a 91 Talon N/T and made it a turbo and my best advice; Sell it and buy a turbo model. Believe me, it will save you money and headache.
Old 04-06-2004, 11:46 AM
TRBO-ESI

Originally Posted by SBMotors
I've done this swap before in a 91 Talon N/T and made it a turbo and my best advice; Sell it and buy a turbo model. Believe me, it will save you money and headache.

what all did you have to do to swap from a N/t To a turbo? I bought the whole kit everything from manifold and turbo to the Oil pan, the only thing I didn't get was a turbo computer
Old 04-18-2004, 08:10 PM
TRBO-ESI

Unhappy Re: DSM ECU SWAP! I NEED HELP!

Still haven't gotten my kit...