Notices
Tech Talk Anything technically related to your vehicle should be posted here. If you're looking to have work done, try one of the Regional Forums.

Dsm 4g63 swap help needed

Old 10-16-2005, 08:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
ss_cav has disabled reputation
Question Dsm 4g63 swap help needed

Ok so ilike an idiot agreed to help my friend replace his blown motor in his eclipse. It's a '94 gs-t automatic...the engine is siezed and he told me he bought a direct replacement. so we get the whole motor almost out(after splitting a halfshaft) and then i get a look at the "new" motor. It looks like its got 150,000 miles on it and its a Cyclone motor. This has got to cause some sort of problem. i have already noticed that the oiling system is diffrent but what other problems is this "swap" gonna have, and is there any good to doing it?
Old 10-16-2005, 08:34 PM
Big Dick Playa

King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling King Dingaling
Default Re: Dsm 4g63 swap help needed

its a 6bolt swap.

not sure about the intake manni though. might wanna just run a 1g dsm manifold cause the cyclone runs a dual butterflyish type deal.

rre's 6 bolt swap

that might help.
Old 10-16-2005, 10:38 PM

ss_cav has disabled reputation

The "cyclone" is a 6 bolt. i noiw all it is is a jdm 4g63 but i thought it was a 7 bolt. oh well all for the better since the 7 bolts have the crank walk problem. Is there any combo of parts that should be used? The mod list will be a BBK 62mm TB, Apexi downpipe, AEM fuel rail, Greddy charge pipes & BOV.
Old 10-17-2005, 06:49 AM
Registered Member

sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo

Meh only thing different about a JDM 6bolt is the Cyclone intake manifold. You will most likely need a 6bolt torque converter or flywheel, not sure how the auto 6bolt swap goes. As for the Cyclone intake manifold, it works great if you hook it up properly.

http://www.dsmtuners.com/forums/show...hlight=cyclone

And as for the oiling system, only thing I would think would be different is the JDM motors(just like the 90 USDM motors) have an external oil cooler hooked up to the oil filter housing.
Old 10-17-2005, 08:41 AM
Your Local DSM Tech

Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD Hybrid AWD

scrap the cyclone intake manifold... first it's not worth it second it sucks, third... unless you have everything to get it working right you wont see any gains from it.
Old 10-17-2005, 07:01 PM
Registered Member

sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo sethmo

I wouldnt go as far as saying it sucks :P

When it works, it does give a lot of low end torque that isnt there with a normal manifold. Which if you are AWD it is a plus, FWD meh could do with out. But TMO can program any EPROM ECU to control the butterfly valves so you do not need the JDM ECU, pretty cool stuff if your interested.
Old 10-19-2005, 01:44 PM
Registered Member

STIimposter is a splendid one to beholdSTIimposter is a splendid one to beholdSTIimposter is a splendid one to beholdSTIimposter is a splendid one to beholdSTIimposter is a splendid one to beholdSTIimposter is a splendid one to beholdSTIimposter is a splendid one to behold

Make sure that you use the 7 bolt drivers side motor mount base. It has to be clearanced for the 6 bolt water pump. 7 bolt tranny plate with 6 bolt flexplate. (make sure it is a fwd the starter teeth are a different depth) Use all your 2G electronics and wire the cam sensor accordingly.(seeing a 2g has a crank and cam sensor and a 1g only has a cam sensor.) 1g water pipe and lower rad. hose. And use a stock style 1g manifold, you will never get the vacuum lines correct for the secondary butterflies. If you have any other questions pm me. I have done 3 of them and am working on the 4th right now.